Any news s5 Apple Watch will monitor blood sugar?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by shankar2, May 3, 2019.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502a

So I know it’s a very complicated technology to get a watch to monitor blood sugar but i read a few months ago companies including Apple are doing this cutting edge research as it’ll be a blockbuster money minting watch.

Any new updates? Thanks!

2. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

As a type 2 diabetic, that would be a great feature to have, but glucose monitoring does require a needle to be in the skin. There are already products on the market (Dexcom comes to mind) that already work with Apple Watch.

Now, with that being said, I do not qualify for Dexcom because not on insulin so if Apple does come out with a GMS I just it's affordable as I'd probably buy it.

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

A pulse ox would be my guess for next monitor.

4. Jimmie Geddes macrumors 6502

Type 1 diabetic with Omnipod Insulin pump here and would LOVE this feature, but don't see it happening any time soon.

5. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

There is no needle under the skin, it's more of a filament. A non-invasive sensor to monitor blood glucose built into an Apple Watch is years away. The next step for glucose monitoring and the Apple Watch is the direct communication between the Dexcom transmitter and the Apple Watch. Currently, it still requires the iPhone as a pass-through. Dexcom's CEO recently said this is coming within the year, but we shall see.