Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
So I know it’s a very complicated technology to get a watch to monitor blood sugar but i read a few months ago companies including Apple are doing this cutting edge research as it’ll be a blockbuster money minting watch.

Any new updates? Thanks!

Reactions: jpn

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
As a type 2 diabetic, that would be a great feature to have, but glucose monitoring does require a needle to be in the skin. There are already products on the market (Dexcom comes to mind) that already work with Apple Watch.

Now, with that being said, I do not qualify for Dexcom because not on insulin so if Apple does come out with a GMS I just it's affordable as I'd probably buy it.

Reactions: Glideslope

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Type 1 diabetic with Omnipod Insulin pump here and would LOVE this feature, but don't see it happening any time soon.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
As a type 2 diabetic, that would be a great feature to have, but glucose monitoring does require a needle to be in the skin. There are already products on the market (Dexcom comes to mind) that already work with Apple Watch.

Now, with that being said, I do not qualify for Dexcom because not on insulin so if Apple does come out with a GMS I just it's affordable as I'd probably buy it.

There is no needle under the skin, it's more of a filament. A non-invasive sensor to monitor blood glucose built into an Apple Watch is years away. The next step for glucose monitoring and the Apple Watch is the direct communication between the Dexcom transmitter and the Apple Watch. Currently, it still requires the iPhone as a pass-through. Dexcom's CEO recently said this is coming within the year, but we shall see.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
A pulse ox would be my guess for next monitor.

Pusle ox is fairly simple. 2 LEDs, one red, the other IR, and the sensor. The problem is getting FDA (and similar non-US agencies) approval. Since they've gained some experience getting their ECG functions through they must know how to get it done.

Apple's head of medical research used to be the head of Masimo, a big maker of pulse ox meters and sensors.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Pusle ox is fairly simple. 2 LEDs, one red, the other IR, and the sensor. The problem is getting FDA (and similar non-US agencies) approval. Since they've gained some experience getting their ECG functions through they must know how to get it done.

Apple's head of medical research used to be the head of Masimo, a big maker of pulse ox meters and sensors.

Great info and no doubt much more likely than a non-invasive BG sensor.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah

Can they change the color of the existing LED to be able to read Pulse OX with a software update, or would that require a redesign of the LED array on the back of the watch?

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Can they change the color of the existing LED to be able to read Pulse OX with a software update, or would that require a redesign of the LED array on the back of the watch?

They could do it with the old (Series 3 and below) and new one. They would have to change the LEDS to red/IR and probably redesign the sensor but it wouldn't be a big lift. The expensive part is buying the detection algorithm or making their own to determine the O2 saturation. And they'd need additional FDA (in USA) approval. That's why the ECG rollout was so slow. Getting the various governments to approve.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
They could do it with the old (Series 3 and below) and new one. They would have to change the LEDS to red/IR and probably redesign the sensor but it wouldn't be a big lift. The expensive part is buying the detection algorithm or making their own to determine the O2 saturation. And they'd need additional FDA (in USA) approval. That's why the ECG rollout was so slow. Getting the various governments to approve.

I would think this would be a lot easier than monitoring Blood Sugar levels, but then, who knows.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
I would think this would be a lot easier than monitoring Blood Sugar levels, but then, who knows.

Yeah, sugar levels can only be done with an electrode under the skin, for now.

Pulse oximetry was a big deal when it came out. Before they had to do multiple blood draws to monitor O2.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Blood pressure would be on my wish list. There are ways to do optical BP measurement -- not quite as accurate as a compression cuff and should ideally be calibrated per-user (verify with traditional cuff and adjust if necessary), but it can be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.