Any NI Guitar Rig owners here?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Cromulent, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I am seriously considering buying Guitar Rig Session and was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of how good the software and hardware are.

From looking at NI's website it looks great but that is obviously mostly promotional. If you have experience using it in Logic Studio 8 that would be great as well as I am planning on using it as a plugin predominantly.

2. joe.cavers macrumors regular

It's a CPU hog. But it DOES sound great. Very powerful, great effects and tones. You can download a demo from the NI site, go for it and see what you think. I only demo-ed it myself and enjoyed it, but I use a Pod XT for my guitar tones, so the program is surplus to my requirements.

JC

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks for that. I would download the demo but I don't have any way to plug my guitar in at the moment so it is a bit of non-starter for me.

4. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Ahhh that is definitely a downer. What are you planning on plugging your guitar if you do buy Guitar Rig?

JC

5. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

The hardware that comes with Guitar Rig. I'm looking at the package called Guitar Rig Session which comes with a USB 2 Guitar and Microphone input box thing that I can use.

Kills two birds with one stone for €229 which is well worth it when you consider the fact that most USB sound box things cost that much just on their own and the hardware that comes with Guitar Rig is capable of 24bit 192Khz recording.

6. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Just had a scout over at the NI site, Guitar Rig packages are a lot different than the last time I looked at 'em! I would say, if possible, get to a music store and give it a demo. Use your own guitar if possible too.

That said, if you have a computer powerful enough to run it, you probably can't go wrong. Seriously incredible program.

JC

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i used to used some hack version of it for vocals... i love running vocals through guitar amp things.

8. Ibanez Strummer macrumors member

Hey,

I currently use the demo in 30 minute cycles with Logic Express 8. I can't afford the software just yet and its the best legitimate way around that! I don't particularly use the effects, but the sounds of the amps are very nice and there is a wide range with the full package. (VOX, Two Marshalls, Bogner, Mesa, etc.) It is simple to use and has a very nice tone. I mainly use it for laying down demos to send to bandmates. I don't know what the hardware is like as I just plug into an M-Audio Fast Track USB.

Jamie

9. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks for all the comments, it has been very useful.

I've decided to go for it because NI have a special offer on Session at the moment where you get the full version of the software for free rather than the cut down version you would normally get.

I can't really pass up the deal.

10. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Good shout, definitely post up and say how it is. Some recordings would be nice!

JC

11. musio macrumors 68020

musio

guitar rig is the bee's knees. Great sounds!

It's worth buying the rig kontrol for the expression pedals, the inputs, headphone output...it's essentially IS a soundcard with some cool guitar functions (assigning buttons to guitar rig parameters)