Any non-iPhone but iPad/iPad 2 Users here?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by princealfie, Mar 13, 2011.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Anyone else here who is an iPad/iPad 2 user but doesn't use an iPhone around? (Currently rocking a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon but maybe also use an iPhone 4 soon.)

2. MassacrMan macrumors member

What's going on, I'm rocking an HTC Inspire 4G on AT&T along with my wifi only 16GB iPad.

3. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Nice... I love my free Mobile Hotspot usage on my Palm Pre Plus. So sweet to connect my WiFi iPad to.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't have any cell phones, period. Just don't need them. Especially now with my 3G iPad, I can text people if I need to get in touch with someone while out.

5. jedolley macrumors 68000

Sprint Samsung Epic 4G w/Unlimited Mobile Hotspot

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 on T-Mobile. My 2-year contract ends in August, so I'll decide then what to do, either stay or get an iPhone 5.
    The major reason why I would like to stay with T-Mobile is that I currently have Unlimited 3G service for about $25.00/month with tethering. I don't tether often, but there have been times when tethering has saved more than just the day.
    Lately my 3G service hasn't been that great but I expect it to get better as T-Mobile expands their network.
    Only if Sprint buys T-Mobile I would leave immediately.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

8. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Tmobile - Samsung vibrant.

(I dont technically have my ipad yet, but will very soon! :D)

9. Cersche macrumors newbie

Sporting an evo (rooted). Free tethering ftw :) its killer on your battery but I normally have my phone on the charger when I need tethering which is at work. Love love love my iPad 2!

10. Chewy954 macrumors newbie

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

12. revolver07 macrumors newbie

Blackberry Tour but planning on getting iPhone 5 in June.

13. RSNL macrumors regular

blackberry 9700. Probably will stick with a blackberry when and waiting on the blackberry bold touch.

14. Virtute macrumors member

I'm planning to pick up a 3G iPad 2 tomorrow. As it stands I'm 2.5 years through my 3 year contract on my LG Rumour with SoloMobile.

I've been considering the iPhone for my next phone, but (at least in Canada) it seems that you have to get a three-year data plan in order to get the iPhone at a reasonable price. If I've got my iPad with me at all times, though, what use would I have for data on my phone? I'd use the iPad for any web browsing, emailing, gps, whatever else that requires data. My phone would then be used for calling/texting/camera/as an iPod (haven't had one of those in years), and maybe the occasional app like SoundHog or Calendar.

I guess, with that said, I don't really need an iPhone––I can get away with using my LG––but I do enjoy my Apple products immensely. It's nice to have matching, stable, integrated products (iMac, iPad, iPhone), especially if MobileMe does go free.

It comes down to the cost for me. I can't justify a $50/mo phone plan (likely more than that), plus $15/mo for my iPad. A $25-$30 talk and text plan, plus $15 for the iPad would be ideal for me, but I don't think that any of the Canadian companies will sell the iPhone at the reduced price unless you commit to data. Has anyone fought them for no data+reduced price and won?

Insight on my options, anyone?

15. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

16. vanwas macrumors newbie

Droid 2! Love the phone. Not in too big of a hurry to replace/upgrade it.

17. TheXIIIth macrumors member

XPERIA X10i / iPad 2 / Virgin Mobile MiFi (as needed)

18. profets macrumors 68040

No iPad 2 yet, but currently using a Nexus S on Wind Mobile in Canada.

If you do want an iPhone in Canada at a subsidized price you'll either have to sign a 3 year term for voice+data or get it on Virgin Mobile using their 'tab' system. Sometimes you can use the contract to your benefit. Carriers like Rogers or Fido are probably best for getting loyalty/retention discounts on your plan once you've been with them for 6 months, and Rogers has also been good in letting iPhone users upgrade every year to the newer iPhone. But look around, Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell, Virgin all have plans and discounts for the iPhone (of course you won't quite get to $25-30 plan when you're taking a $500 subsidy). If you're up to it you can use it to your advantage. Otherwise check our Virgin Mobile, they have some decent plans, and you can go no contract while getting a discounted iPhone 4 (You'll get a $500 discount that goes onto a tab system) and 10% of your monthly bill goes toward paying off that $500 - At anytime you can pay off the remainder of the tab and upgrade or leave. Of course it'll take a while to pay off a $500 tab even if you're on a $50-60 plan. Telus is also interesting in this manner, you sign a 3 year term, but if you want to cancel or leave the cancellation fee is based on the discount you received for your phone split over the months of the contract.

19. JeremyDScott macrumors newbie

JeremyDScott

Yes. I have the MyTouch 4G. It's the main reason I will be getting the Wifi-only iPad. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan for $25/month. Great set up for hotspotting my iPad when WiFi isn't otherwise available.

I appreciate the opportunity of both worlds of iOS and Android.

20. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

MyTouch 4G is one incredible phone. Lovely design and powerful shebang and features (some unlockable through rooting) can boost this one to the skies!

21. leenak macrumors 68020

I just got rid of my blackberry. So I just got a cheap cel phone which isn't a smart phone.

22. VickieMac macrumors newbie

Droid Pro with iPad2. See, you have company!

Vickie

23. anthony691 macrumors newbie

I ditched my 1st gen. iPhone in January and went with what drug dealers refer to as "a burner." My phone bill went from $67 to around $8 and I don't miss the iPhone much at all.

The iPad made my iPhone a tiny little bit redundant. I'm rarely ever more than a few minutes away from some WiFi.

24. Crusis macrumors newbie

Tmobile G2 here. Running CM7. I love android for phones. I have never owned an iPhone but I do have a MBP.

25. bdavis89 macrumors regular

Rooted & Liberated Droid X and an iPad 16gb here!