any non-obvious battery saving tips? like closing all apps at once?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 14, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i'm sure having different apps running will cause the battery to drain quicker, any way to just close them all?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Most aren't actually running, just in a saved state, so you don't have to worry about them.

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

You really don't need to close Apps. The iPhone is very smart about suspending Apps and conserving battery. Apps in the background use between no power, and a trivial trickle of power at most.

If you want, you can turn off Blue Tooth if you're not using it. Same with WiFi or 3G Data. (you only need one of them on to receive mail, notifications, etc.)

Turning down the brightness on your screen can save a lot of battery life if you're playing a game, or watching a movie. If you're inside, you probably don't need it turned up to full brightness.

You can also save power by setting your mail/calendar/task accounts to manual (instead of Fetch every few minutes.) In most cases, unless you have lots of accounts this won't make much difference -- "Fetch" does cause your phone to power up the radios to grab data, but normally it's only for a few minutes out of every hour.

Also, after you break in your phone, say, 30 or so days from now, run the battery down to below 5%. Then charge it to full on the charger overnight. That will reset the battery gauge to more accurately reflect how much charge you have. (You don't need to worry about battery "memory" or anything like that, these newer batteries don't have any of those bad effects.)

I should add that, you don't need to do any of these things to get a full workday plus out of your phone. Just use it and enjoy it.
    Enjoy your phone.

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Most of them aren't running in the background unlike in Android, so it isn't a battery hog. I find the only App/s that will run in the background are the GPS apps.

5. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

thanks...would auto brightness save, or take up battery? i would think save, but i heard it takes battery 'decide'

can i leave gps off, wifi off, or 3g off....and just use it automatically? kinda confused if i should keep wifi on or off if i have 3g on. i figured wifi would save battery > 3g but then again if its on and im not using it then it might waste battery

6. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I'm kind of worried about my battery life. I charged it fully when I first got it and I plugged it in for a few minutes after that since and it's already dow to 73%. I hope it lasts me all day at NYCC tomorrow...

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Sometimes the battery % indicators aren't accurate for the first day or so. You can reset the indicator by letting your phone get below 5% or so, then charging it overnight. (leave it charging for at least 6 hours, even if it says 100% to really top it off.) The battery % indicator will be much more accurate after doing that.

If you want to know a lot (more than you probably want) about the batteries in the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, etc - there is a page dedicated to them at Apple.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Honestly though, unless you're on a long international flight with no way to charge your phone, you shouldn't have to worry much about battery life with an iPhone.

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Actually it won't because only one app runs at a time. Some select Apis can run like gps, iPod etc but apps in the task manager/list are not open nor using up battery life

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You really should not need to manually disable individual services for decent battery life. The only time I would do that is if I knew I wasn't going to use it for a long time (in which case I'd just turn it off instead), or obviously Airplane Mode on a flight. I didn't disable anything on my 3GS (Bluetooth, WiFi, Push mail including an Exchange account, 3G cellular, GPS). Normally I would plug it in overnight, but even when I didn't it would only lose much less than 10% overnight. The 4S battery and components are certainly superior. 4 hours ago I stopped using my iPhone 4S and the battery remaining read 65%, and now 4 hours later it still reads 65%, so less than 1% loss in 4 hours.

If your battery is draining any more than 1% per hour when idle (i.e. in sleep mode) I think you have a serious problem that is not typical. Could be a reboot will fix it, or a full drain and recharge cycle on the battery.

10. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

well i'm gonna keep wifi and location apps from running often, hopefully that will help

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Make sure that you keep the brightness low and your Bluetooth off when you don't use them either.

I set my push gmail and calendars and stuff for 15 to 30 minutes, along with turning off Bluetooth and things like that. From an Android user, there's less micromanaging I have to do now, so by Monday, well see how the battery holds up since I'll be out from 9 till 8.

12. Bruce91 macrumors newbie

I haven't gotten my phone yet, but I heard there was no way to disable the 3G or 2G radio in IOS5? Is that accurate?

My school lets us use the wifi on campus and I don't want to worry about the 200mb getting used and it'd help battery life.

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If you're on wifi the phone won't use data.

----------

If you're on wifi the phone won't use data.

Also, the amount Of energy you would save wouldn't be worth the trouble of turning the radio off, IMO.