Any North Americans tried BBC iplayer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cagle, May 29, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

I just bought a blackvpn account so i could access BBC iplayer through a uk server. I was wondering if anyone else has tried iplayer on their US based ipads? Video takes ages to load and plays for a few seconds before freezing. :(

2. magrat22 macrumors 6502

magrat22

I've had no problem with it. Do you use that vpn provider on your computer as it sounds like it's a problem with their servers. Try itv's player or channel 4's and see if you have the same issue...if you do you may need to find another vpn provider.

3. Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion, although it looks like itv and c4 use flash as i couldn't get any of their stuff to play on the iPad.

4. Spudracer macrumors 6502

You may be looking for input from Euro forum members but I'm a US resident who has had the BBC player since release day here in the US and it works well. I don't have any complaints about speed and the site looks great.

5. awmazz macrumors 65816

deleted - I posted about the BBC app not the iPlayer

6. Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, weird, are you taking about the same interface, because the one I'm seeing on the iPad stinks; it utilizies half the screen and seems to be put together very shoddily
    [​IMG]

7. dundonald macrumors member

Well it is a beta that only went live on Friday. But once you select a
    programme it does go full screen. I will admit though at the moment
    it is a bit of a botch job UI wise.

Actually the thing I am finding difficult to find, are the live feeds for any of the programmes.

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

How are you getting the stream to activate?

Accessing the site from Miami gives me the crap about being outside the UK. I already know that thankyouverymuch :D

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

It was previously posted here when it was released that it's the "large" interface for the Xbox assigned for iPad use. It is a pretty ugly interface.

I'm in the US and haven't had any issues with it now that it's up. I just wish it was more like the regular (non-iPad) browser interface.

10. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Unless you're using a connection (such as a VPN) that geolocates your IP as being in the UK you will get that message.