Any Norton anti virus for MAC users ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by void1916, Oct 5, 2012.

1. void1916 macrumors newbie

I have a late MBP 2011 currently running OSX ML. I am planning to to get anti virus or internet security s/w ..

I have never had any malware/virus attacks so far :eek: but wanted to have protection just in case ..

Please throw in any suggestions.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Never Norton, never, never, never. Doesn't matter what OS.

Other details to be provided by others shortly.

3. simsaladimbamba

Read the following, especially this section.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

And if you still want malware protection after reading and understanding the above, please do not use Sophos or Norton or iAntiVirus. Just get ClamXAV and be done with it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My suggestion - stay away from Norton - its awful.

You're probably going to see a lot of responses stating that you don't need any given the architecture of OSX and if you practice safe computing, i.e., do not open anything you don't recognize.

Windows has a lot of security issues, OSX - not really. No viruses but malware does exist which is why you need to be careful

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Mac owners don't use Norton Anti-Virus. Norton uses, and abuses, Mac owners.