Any o2 simcard in iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JT103, Sep 13, 2008.

1. JT103 macrumors newbie

I've read on various sites that it's possible for US iphone 3g owners to put any at&t sim card in their iphone. Does anyone know if it's possible to do the same in the UK with a pay monthly o2 simcard???

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes it is, as long as you jailbreak and activate the phone first (this also applies to us iphone users)

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

won't that be stupid? I mean, if you accidently click on the Safari/GPS/Youtube/iTunes/Weather/App Store/Stocks app, then you'll be charged for data services..stupid If you ask me, and I also heard that the iPhone sends out like 1 data signal a day or something like that to AT&T to make sure you have the data plan..?

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

o2 simplicity includes a small amount of data, so this is not a problem
    an unlimited data bolt on can also be added for £7.50

not true. if this happened the unlock 'market' would not exist

5. JT103 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks... and yes I'll be using my unlimited web bolt-on. Quick question though... when you say it needs to be jalibroken do you mean unlocked? As far as I'm aware the Dev Team haven't been able to unlock the iphone 3g yet, their latest PwnageTool only jailbreaks it (allows third party apps). Also, when you say activate it first... do you mean activate it using the iphone contract simcard before putting in my other sim?

Apologies for the simpleton questions... I'm new to this jailbreak/unlocking game.. :D

6. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

There is NO need to jailbreak or unlock the iphone to use any O2 SIM.

I have an iPhone 3G and my girlfriend now uses my old iPhone, she used her old Pay and Go SIM for a few weeks then decided to get the SIMplicity SIM with unlimited web bolt on that is on offer just now, there was no need to jailbreak or unlock the iphone with either of her sims.

Obviously this applies for definite with the original iPhone, but i would assume that this is true for the 3G version too......?

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

the terminology can be confusing sometimes :)
    no, it does not need to be unlocked
    you need to activate the phone, but not using an official sim. this simply 'tricks' the phone into thinking the sim in the phone is an official, iPhone, one
    in order to activate, you first need to jailbreak (well, they are now one and the same process really)

here are a couple of tutorials:
    for mac
    for pc (waiting for update)

afaik the 3g still needs to be hacktivated etc, but we won't really know until the 16th, when the payg iphone 3g is released

8. JT103 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's excellent! I presume it's possible to put the iphone 3G sim in any other o2 or unlocked mobile?

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, it is possible