Any of the knowledgeable Macrumors experts have any info???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnnyp500, Apr 2, 2008.

1. johnnyp500 macrumors newbie

By Ben Charny
    Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Apple Inc. (AAPL) said Wednesday it's "working to replenish" iPhone supplies at its U.S. stores, which two investment analysts believe are either out of the combination phone and digital media player, or lack necessary parts.
    The alleged U.S.-only iPhone shortage is fueling speculation a new, third-generation version will be introduced as soon as next week, or that there's a crimp in the iPhone component supply chain.
    Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster in a note to clients this week, said iPhones couldn't be found at Apple's hundreds of U.S. retail stores.

2. fart macrumors regular

Oh NOS?! no iPHONeZ?! ZOMG! I wouldnt read too much into it.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Doesn't anyone remember all the rumors about Apple cutting production in half a month or two ago? Because sales weren't as high as expected in Europe?

It takes a while for such cuts to make it through channels. Perhaps the cuts just hit and caught them short.

Just a thought.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This guy doesn't even know what generation phone is about to come out, let alone give a guess like that saying as soon as next week. It's not going to happen.

Apple would announce it within a few weeks, and of course it needs to go through the FCC.

I called my local AT&T store today and it sounded like they had PLENTY of iPhones in stock still.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I concur, the local corporate AT&T store has an unlimited stock of iPhones and I beg to ask the question; "why don't iPhone buyers go to an AT&T store?" Well, I'll try to answer my own question; "maybe they want the iPhone from the Apple Store, in order that they can "unlock" and "jailbreak" their new iPhone!" IMHO. :eek:

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Here's a 4D prediction. There will be a 3G iphone, or Apple will jump right over 3G and go right to 4G. At the time they announce it, no existing original iPhone will be worth even half it's current retail price. It makes perfect sense to have no old iPhones in the retail chain when you announce the new one. In fact, start recalling all you can to reengineer them and you'll have a ready supply with new specs on day one of the announcement.

Of course Steve has yet to do the most logical thing since I've known of him. If there's a way to make more money off the idea, even while pizzing off existing iPhone owners, he'll usually choose that route.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well it's easier said than done.

A 4G AT&T network doesn't even exist in this country as far as i know that would be available for consumers. Plus, 4G chips are like 3G chips over a year ago. Battery consuming..etc.