Any of the Macbook Pro people who are in the 14 day Window hear back from Apple yet?

Ilovemygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
205
0
I'm just wondering if they figured out anything for those of us who are waiting on or just got the 7200rpm 160G?
 

fadethis

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
31
0
You are chatting with David M, an Apple Expert

• Hi, my name is David M. Welcome to Apple!

• David M: Good evening

• You: Hi David thanks. I ordered a Macbook Pro a few days ago and upgraded to the 160gb 7200 rpm hd. considering the recent updates is there any sort of compensation i can receive?

• You: i'm not looking to return or exchange

• David M: Have you received your MacBook Pro?

• You: no, it will arrive on Monday

• David M: Let me check.

• You: i would have liked to get the 200gb 7200rpm, but seeing as it will take 2-3 weeks to ship, having the unit ASAP is more of a priority for me

• You: thanks

• David M: OK.

• David M: If you want to return the MacBook Pro and reorder it with the upgraded hard drive, you can do so.

• You: the reason i'm apprehensive to do that is the longer time frame to receive the new unit, i'd be more willing to accept some form of credit back if that makes things simpler, what can you do for me David?

• You: i do appreciate the offer, it's just that i need the machine soon

• David M: There is no credit being offered, as the upgrades did not affect your pricing or change the specification of your particular system.

• You: there has to be some sort of measurable difference, yes? for the amount i paid for the upgrade i could have had a 250gb hd instead

• David M: What size MBPro did you order?

• You: 15"

• David M: What processor speed did you get?

• You: 2.4ghz

• David M: The 2.4 ghz 15" MBPro comes standard with the 160gb, so there was not a cost
involved to upgrade to this system. It's still the same system as what is available today. That is why there is no offer of compensation.

• David M: The only difference today is that there are new upgrade options available - like the 250gb hard drive size. But you purchased the basic unit without upgrading the hard drive, so you are getting the same system as what is available today.

• You: i did purchase the upgraded hard drive

• You: i paid $150 extra for the 7200rpm upgrade

• David M: OK I see now.

• David M: It would be $200 to upgrade to the 200gb 7200 rpm drive.

• David M: The only suggestion I can make is to have you call customer service on Monday - but because your system is a configured system, technically it can't be returned. Even if it could be returned, there is a 10% restocking fee - which would be greater than the $50 difference you would be paying to get the extra 40gb of ram.

• David M: If you want to call Customer Service on Monday, here is their number: 1-800-676-2775.

• You: is there nothing further you can do for me?

• David M: No. Customer service would have to take it from here. I just can't guarantee that they can offer you anything on this.

• You: ok. thank you very much for your time, David. have a good day.

• David M: Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business.

• Thank you for contacting the Apple Store. If you require further assistance, please call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

*note : a.) he totally forgot i upgraded my HD even though i specified
b.) 40gb of "RAM" only costs $50? sign me up!!! :p


anyway i did a bunch of unnecessary calculations (planning to call customer service) to justify getting a credit but in reality the 160gb 7200rpm is cheaper per gigabyte than the 200gb 7200rpm ( $0.94/gb vs $1.00/gb), so perhaps no credit is owed. it was just bad timing.

would i still have purchased the 200gb had it been available? yes
would i wait potentially 1 month more to get it? no
is apple a little dickish for pulling a stealthy stunt like that? maybe

in hindsight - technology does not stop moving just because you spent your precious money.. but it's frustrating that it had to move 4 days after!

regardless - i will welcome my MBP on "Monday by 10:30am" with loving arms.
 
Comment

Ilovemygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
205
0
Bah, I'm thinking that if my Monday's has a good screen I'll just deal with it as well. I can always get an external hardrive I suppose.
 
Comment

Wolf Am I

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
13
0
Hampshire, England
@fadethis
That was really helpful... I'm in the same predicament. Would have loved a 200GB 7200rpm drive... The UK store has the 200GB hd for less per GB than the 160 GB one was.

I guess I could always DIY upgrade my hard-drive if this one isn't big enough...!
 
Comment

fadethis

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
31
0
doh!

they actually tried delivering my MBP this morning (estimated for Monday) but i wasnt awake to hear. i'm picking it up in a few hours! i already have my RAM waiting -- Fusion is coming next week.

ilovemygeek -- external is the way we shall go! its better for storage/backup purposes anyway

wolf am i -- have you gotten your MBP yet? you might be in a situation where they can give you a credit or replacement, depending on what you want
 
Comment

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
4,168
275
Phoenix, AZ
Why would you get a credit on your existing order?

Either you get the upgraded machine at the same price or you deal with what you have.
 
Comment

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
392
72
Ok, I looked back at my invoice and the original 160gb 7200rpm upgrade
was only $150 retail. Here I was thinking apple owed me something,
but the fact that the new 200gb 7200rpm is $200, or $50 more than what I paid,
than Apple owes me nothing.

Would I rather have the 200gb for $50 more? Yes
Would I have ordered 2.6ghz if I was given the chance? Probably
Would I try and exchange if the turnaround was much faster? Probably
Am I going to bother exchanging? Probably not.

The fact that they aren't delivering these upgrades until the 1st week of December
AND the fact that I managed to get a pretty decent not-too-bad yellow screen,
I'm likely sticking with what I got.
 
Comment

Ilovemygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
205
0
Yeah that is what I'm going to do as well. Unless my screen comes back yellow again. Then I'm just going to cough up the extra money and bump it up.
 
Comment

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
392
72
Yeah that is what I'm going to do as well. Unless my screen comes back yellow again. Then I'm just going to cough up the extra money and bump it up.
Smart move! If you get a good screen, hold onto it like grim death!

Wouldn't it suck if you had a good white screen, returned it
only because of this upgrade, waited a whole month for the
new machine, than got a yellow screen! I can't imagine that!!!
 
Comment

Ilovemygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
205
0
Mandoman, that is EXACTLY my thinking. I'm really just crossing my fingers that I get a nice vivid, non yellow Samsung. I'm just ready to start using it already LOL
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.