Any of you guys use 9.7" iPad for reading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Aug 20, 2016.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Do any of you guys use the 9.7" iPad for reading?

Thank you
    m

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

"...Steve Jobs says...Americans simply don’t read. From The New York Times:

“the fact is that people don’t read anymore,” he said. “Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.” [ Wired, jan 16, 2008]

That aside, it is an awesome ereader

4. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I've often wandered this too. I have a 9.7 Pro and a mini4 and a Kindle Voyage and wonder if I can just use an iPad but think I'd just get too distracted and check Facebook and Twitter etc.....

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I do.

A simplistic question leads to a simplistic answer.

6. markphil1424 macrumors newbie

markphil1424

Same here, have a Kindle but seem to use the iPad more. I don't have a 9.7, but considering it soon to upgrade from my mini.

7. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I'm reading this, does this count? :D

8. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Sadly, I think minimal thread interest proves Jobs point.

9. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Or maybe there's minimal thread interest cause everyone's busy reading books on their iPads?

10. Osty macrumors 6502a

My wife does all her reading on her 9.7. That's mostly what she uses it for

11. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I have 300+ books downloaded in the Kindle app and use it all the time. I prefer my Air 2 over my Kindle PaperWhite.

12. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Just out of interest do you read in landscape mode?

13. sparksd macrumors 6502a

No, I don't really care for landscape mode for reading books so I read in portrait mode.

14. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

He said this about the Kindle failing, right? Interesting looking back now on his thoughts about how the Kindle & Android would fail. There's a tidbit in there also about Apple not expanding into the TV/Cable world. Expanded quote for better context and full article here:

I much prefer my Kindle for reading but use my iPad at night in bed sometimes because it props up a little better against my pillow.

15. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Also, do you bother with a case? Doesn't it make the iPad heavy when reading?

16. sparksd macrumors 6502a

40% - that means 60% do read one book or more. With an adult population of around 240 million or so, 60% is around 145 million - that's an awful lot of people who are reading so the concept is hardly flawed. His premise was wrong.

17. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

9.7 is the best to read on. Before the airs they were heavy, now it's great.

18. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I've used different cases, including the light Smart case and the heavy Otterbox Defender and haven't felt any issues with weight. The Smart case is nice and light but the Defender has the option to rotate the iPad so that it can be propped up in portrait mode.

19. hawon macrumors member

I had a kindle and screen cracked so I used iPad Air 2 for a reading device for a bit. After 7 months, bought a kindle paper white for reading. iPad would do a job but I read much faster on kindle and my eyes get tired less.

20. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

No, mostly sitting up!

21. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

Yep, sure do. In portrait without a case. But I do have an anti-glare screen protector so I can read outside. I use iBooks and was so happy when apple turned on iCloud syncing for iBook collections with 9.3.

22. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

23. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

For books, it's my Kindle Oasis - if you are a serious reader, nothing beats a dedicated, e-ink lightweight e-reader. More than one hour on an backlit LCD screen, I will get eye strain, plus my iPad (Pro 9.7) is still quite heavy.

For magazines and rich media (lots of graphics and links), the iPad is the best.

24. 960design macrumors 68020

Yes. I have read many, many books on my iPad Pro 9.7.
    Just finished "Ready Player One", fantastic book, and just started "The Last Colony" by John Scalzi. I prefer the iBooks to Kindle, although Kindle's new reader ( on the iPad ) is pretty good. I own a Kindle HD 7, that I use as part of my browser testing suite.

I use the reverse, dark background, white characters at a very low brightness to limit eye strain.

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I read a lot. I have several dozen books on my 9.7. I used to read only in portrait, but lately I've Dorene everything in landscape, so I read in the same position. I even keep my textbooks on my iPad.