Any of you not use a screen protector for your iPad?

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
My iPad 2 should be arriving tomorrow and it's my first tablet. I've had one on my 4s since I got it months ago but I don't really think I need it.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I don't have one on my iPad...just use a microfiber cloth on it occasionally to get rid of fingerprints. My phone I do because it gets bopped around much more.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Only thing my ipad have is the smartcover and its about to get naked cause the cover is in pretty bad shape.

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Good. No need to buy a screen protector then. Definitely getting a case for it though.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I've never used a screen protector or a case. I don't see the need, I take care of my stuff.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
I'm on my third iPad (I trade up each time a new generation comes out) and I've never used a screen protector on any of them. I find the screen to be incredibly scratch resistant. I've had a much different experience with my iPhones (especially my 4). But then again my iPad doesn't travel around in my pocket all day where it can get accidentally scraped or have grit rubbing against the screen :p It would be interesting to hear how naked iPads do when traveling around in book bags.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Got a cheap crystal clear one on my iPad 3, doesn't reduce user experience and its on perfect, been on since the moment I took it from the box so my screen is definitely 100% pristine.

On a further note my screen protector doesn't have a single mark on it and I guess because the iPad is unlike a phone its not in and out the pocket and picked up and sat down loads throughout the day its less prone to getting scratched (plus i take care of mine very well).

But still in my opinion better safe than sorry.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Mine does.

It was my first iPad, and in retrospect, I think it's not needed. I carry my iPad in soft padded case with an Logitech Ultrathin, so the screen protector is superfluous.

Ih8Bart

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
Foodtown, Germany
My iPad2 is in Heavy charge during Uni-times. I just have got a smartcover and that's all. This Thing is made for working and it's very very solid. I treat it quite hard every Day an there isn't Even the slightest scatch on the screen.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Got one on mine. Clarity with is just about as good as clarity without. Use the Caudabe Shield on mine. Only problem is it doesn't have the oleophobic coating of the screen, so smudges can be an issue sometimes.

formulatwo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
No case on mine. I have had the original iPad since a month after the launch. Still has no scratches on the screen. I do prefer a back side case to prevent scratches from sliding the iPad around.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My iPad 2 should be arriving tomorrow and it's my first tablet. I've had one on my 4s since I got it months ago but I don't really think I need it.
Do yourself a huge favor, avoid a screen protector.

The wonderful Oleophobic coating that Apple applies, provides an exemplary tactile experience.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I had an ipad1 with screen protector. Never got a scratch, but I liked the anti-glare feature because it didn't show finger prints.

Ipad3, bought at launch. Bought a screen protector, but never applied because I was lazy and I decided since I had this thing in a folio case, I didn't have to worry about it.

Two scratches, both on the bezel portion of the screen. Wish I had applied the screen protector.

Search this forum, you will find hundreds of people stating categorically that there is no way to scratch the screen and that protectors aren't required. And you will find dozens of people saying they scratched the screen, even though they were careful.

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Applied a screen protector the 1st day I got it, ripped it out a week later. The screen cleans pretty easily, you can hardly see the smudges when the screen lights up, my ipad rarely gets into situations where it might get scratched, and it just made my screen appear all grainy and pixelated. :mad:

BeginnerXP

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I used my iPad 2 for a year without a single scratch, and now the new iPad is also still in a scratch free condition, but I treat my electronics properly. If you're rough with it then a screen protector might be a good idea.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Just a hard candy case, no screen protector. If I were to purchase a new one, I would likely use a screen protector.