Any of you not use a screen protector for your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Boob, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Boob macrumors member

My iPad 2 should be arriving tomorrow and it's my first tablet. I've had one on my 4s since I got it months ago but I don't really think I need it.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Nope. Been using it for 2 years now with no protector save for an Apple case. Screen is mint.

3. flyersgl macrumors member

Have had my original iPad since launch day without a screen protector. No need, in my opinion...

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I don't have one on my iPad...just use a microfiber cloth on it occasionally to get rid of fingerprints. My phone I do because it gets bopped around much more.

5. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Only thing my ipad have is the smartcover and its about to get naked cause the cover is in pretty bad shape.

6. Boob thread starter macrumors member

Good. No need to buy a screen protector then. Definitely getting a case for it though.

7. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I've never used a screen protector or a case. I don't see the need, I take care of my stuff.

8. Philalbe macrumors 6502

I'm on my third iPad (I trade up each time a new generation comes out) and I've never used a screen protector on any of them. I find the screen to be incredibly scratch resistant. I've had a much different experience with my iPhones (especially my 4). But then again my iPad doesn't travel around in my pocket all day where it can get accidentally scraped or have grit rubbing against the screen :p It would be interesting to hear how naked iPads do when traveling around in book bags.

9. barryl85 macrumors regular

Got a cheap crystal clear one on my iPad 3, doesn't reduce user experience and its on perfect, been on since the moment I took it from the box so my screen is definitely 100% pristine.

On a further note my screen protector doesn't have a single mark on it and I guess because the iPad is unlike a phone its not in and out the pocket and picked up and sat down loads throughout the day its less prone to getting scratched (plus i take care of mine very well).

But still in my opinion better safe than sorry.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Mine does.

It was my first iPad, and in retrospect, I think it's not needed. I carry my iPad in soft padded case with an Logitech Ultrathin, so the screen protector is superfluous.

11. Ih8Bart macrumors newbie

Ih8Bart

My iPad2 is in Heavy charge during Uni-times. I just have got a smartcover and that's all. This Thing is made for working and it's very very solid. I treat it quite hard every Day an there isn't Even the slightest scatch on the screen.

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Got one on mine. Clarity with is just about as good as clarity without. Use the Caudabe Shield on mine. Only problem is it doesn't have the oleophobic coating of the screen, so smudges can be an issue sometimes.

13. mpugh66 macrumors newbie

14. formulatwo macrumors member

No case on mine. I have had the original iPad since a month after the launch. Still has no scratches on the screen. I do prefer a back side case to prevent scratches from sliding the iPad around.

15. RenoG macrumors 65816

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I got myself a matte one, screen annoyed me with reflections in some instances.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Same here, and also my IP5..I can never get the things on, and bith my IP4, 4S and iPads 1.2 and 3 are happily in cases without screen protectors..I just wipe the screens with a micro-fibre cloth.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Do yourself a huge favor, avoid a screen protector.

The wonderful Oleophobic coating that Apple applies, provides an exemplary tactile experience.

19. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

I had an ipad1 with screen protector. Never got a scratch, but I liked the anti-glare feature because it didn't show finger prints.

Ipad3, bought at launch. Bought a screen protector, but never applied because I was lazy and I decided since I had this thing in a folio case, I didn't have to worry about it.

Two scratches, both on the bezel portion of the screen. Wish I had applied the screen protector.

Search this forum, you will find hundreds of people stating categorically that there is no way to scratch the screen and that protectors aren't required. And you will find dozens of people saying they scratched the screen, even though they were careful.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Applied a screen protector the 1st day I got it, ripped it out a week later. The screen cleans pretty easily, you can hardly see the smudges when the screen lights up, my ipad rarely gets into situations where it might get scratched, and it just made my screen appear all grainy and pixelated. :mad:

21. BeginnerXP macrumors newbie

I used my iPad 2 for a year without a single scratch, and now the new iPad is also still in a scratch free condition, but I treat my electronics properly. If you're rough with it then a screen protector might be a good idea.

22. monkey186 macrumors member

23. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Just a hard candy case, no screen protector. If I were to purchase a new one, I would likely use a screen protector.

24. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

25. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak