Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
No. I actually like the look coming from Windows it's a big improvement. I was hoping it would have fixed my Wi-Fi issues though. But I might need a new router.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
WARNING - I just updated and this docking station doesn't work:

j5create - USB Type-C Triple Display Docking Station
JCD543-1-1_720x.jpg

Specifically, only one external display is working now. I have three in total - so two are now useless. Grrrr..

Looks like the manufacturer is working on driver updates for Big Sur. Found out too late.

Mike Slayer

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2020
I haven't regretted switching to Big Sur yet. I like it a lot but I was coming from Catalina as the first Mac OS I had on my first Apple computer. Still I am really like Big Sur.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yes and no. I don't like the UI at all (isn't growing on me), and AirPod Pro connections are super sketchy. Such a PITA. However, I am enjoying the updated Safari and the higher bitrate/resolution streaming.

To be fair regarding the UI - I don't hate it as much when I have it in dark mode. I still don't like it, but it's not as bad.

Furka

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
On my iMac mid-2019 with a Fusion Drive, it has slooooow boot (1:30 minutes BigSur vs 17 seconds on Catalina) and I could hear the hard disk, working hardly. This night I have re-installed Catalina, and all runs flawlessly. Perhaps the future Update to 11.1 solves these kind of problems, and I will try again.

Reactions: Benz63amg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
On my iMac mid-2019 with a Fusion Drive, it has slooooow boot (1:30 minutes BigSur vs 17 seconds on Catalina) and I could hear the hard disk, working hardly. This night I have re-installed Catalina, and all runs flawlessly. Perhaps the future Update to 11.1 solves these kind of problems, and I will try again.
Thanks for the info, sounds like Big Sur is a mess at this point. The UI in dark mode looks cool but I don’t like using dark mode anyway so what’s the point, I think Big Sur needs a good 6 month period to reach a status that is worth upgrading to as it is with most new operation systems

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
No. I have two SSD drives, one with Catalina and one with Big Sur.

Test driving Big Sur for a few weeks and if I don't like it, have too many problems or prefer Catalina, I will just plug the old SSD in. At $100, it was a no brainer. I can always use the drive as a clone if I move permanently.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
That's odd because macOS 11 boots under 8 secs on my 2018 i5 mini.

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
Same on a 2017 iMac. I was very impressed after I picked it up last month, both on Catalina and Big Sur. I guess the SSD drive makes a difference.

Reactions: jagooch

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
on my imac, no, on my poor nTB laptop, sorta-kinda. battery life definitely took a hit on the latter, but on the former it's been a solid performer.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I don't like it much.
It's the first ever Mac OS that I have found irritating.
It's clear that as they are moving ever closer to integration with the phone OS, it's becoming less like a computer and more of a compromise. You have fewer options in everything.
They have moved icons around in Mail for no good reason so they are bunched up on the right hand side.
iMessage is a bit of a mess and I use it a lot.
You need a rt click and two more in imessage to delete a message instead of just pressing on an x.
If you double click on an image it opens behind and you have to close the app to get to it-once you've worked out what's happened.
If you paste a message that's too long it opens in an annoying little bubble that's about 4" wide. Too small to see easily on the computer and why? You've got a big screen why do you not only not use it, but take away the ability to use it you had before?
See, all these things are ported over from making it work like a phone.
Thumbnails now have annoying round corners which they obviously think looks cool from a design sense but is useless for actually trying to evaluate something decently without opening it.
Icons have get ever smaller and with less contrast. The dark mode isn't configurable enough and everything is pretty much the same.
I haven't had any bugs as yet that I know of. Well maybe in mail it's become virtually impossible to find new, unread messages but maybe it's just the side bar notifications are so tiny and dull I can't see them.
Everything seems to work ok but the only new thing that's really interesting is the translation function in the address bar of Safari.
So not regret exactly, but nothing which makes me feel good or go 'Wow' and just constant irritation dealing with things that were intuitive before but which seem to be a bit less useful now.

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
I actually don't see much difference between it and Catalina. A slight difference in GUI, a slight difference in UX, but it's pretty much macOS and I'm a software tester. Sorry, but that's how I see it. Panther was my first OS and I can pretty much jump into any of the subsequent ones and feel at home.

Perhaps I'm not a heavy user.

Reactions: TimB21

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
I was interested too.
I’d like to avoid these bugs or at a minimum investigate while I have my 2 week ‘trial’ deciding if I stay in it

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Please list every last one of the "hundreds of bugs" that YOU SPECIFICALLY have. As far as having "no new features or improvements" - that's a joke, and you've lost any credibility whatsoever with that statement.

Yep. Zero credibility.

Reactions: TimB21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.