Any Ohio State students?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 99MustangGTman, Jan 20, 2009.

1. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I'm going to OSU this spring and I am not from the area nor do I know anyone around Columbus.

If any students or people from the area could let me know what to do on the weekend, or if you know of any good spots to hangout.

Thanks!

-Ray

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

maybe u could put into google like "columbus sight seeing" or something to that effect to find out where the good stuff is. or you cna always ask the locals.

3. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm really trying to get a response from students so I can see what other students do with their spare time in the city.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Are staying in a dorm? I have a feeling you'll get plenty of good advice from other students once you get there.

5. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

I applied for housing, which i'll find out next month if I get it. Otherwise i'm just gonna get an apt. right outside campus.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not worry to much about what to do in the town.

My best advise is to GET INVOLVED with some group. That be a church group, bible study, dorm, club of some type ect.

Just get involved it gets you to meet people and makes some good friends. I was involved with a bible study some of which where my contacts for where I moved after wards and got me involved with a new group of friends.

Just get involved in something.

7. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man! I've been hearing that getting involved in student groups is really beneficial to meeting new people.

8. buffalo macrumors 65816

Not a student, nor do I live in Columbus. OSU is on the list of schools that I have applied to in the fall, and is my top state school. But knowing a few students...

Football in the fall and basketball during the winter/spring are popular choices. I've heard there are plenty of parties. Columbus has an NHL team. Movies and on-campus clubs.

Just out of curiosity, what draws a student of Maryland to The Ohio State University?

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well actually, there is plenty of talks about Michigan vs OSU in the DMV area. Pretty much the whole DMV is divided into either Michigan or OSU, and I'm guessing he is part of the OSU clan.

10. smithlua macrumors member

Columbus is crazy on a Saturday game day (even better if you enjoy consuming alcohol :)). Oh and btw the campus is huge, expect some 20-30 minute walks to some classes.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't go to OSU but live close to campus. Saturdays are very intense. If you like football you'll love it. There is a lot to do except now when you can't get anywhere from the snow. But like someone else said, find some friends and you'll have no problem, and with OSU so freakin' huge you'll be able to find lots of like-minded people. It's a good school but I'm kind of glad I didn't go there since the class sizes are so large.

12. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Just love the environment and the school spirit. I really want to get out of Maryland, everyone I know goes to UMD, I just want something different.

13. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Just as a word of warning to the OP, saying "The Ohio State University" in any form of normal company pretty much instantly makes you a giant tool.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

That's hilarious, and so very true. Heh!

15. yoppie macrumors 6502a

LOL...we roast a grad school classmate about this very thing all the time. He's crazy.

16. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

What all college students do, drink till they puke. Cheers.:)

17. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'm an OSU grad (an MFA and dual BAs Graphic Design and Interior Design) living in the Short North (which is ironically just south of campus). Some great places to go and do, outside the normal house parties are;

The Gallery Hop (Short North)
    Bluejackets and Crew games
    hole in the wall bookstores/pubs on campus
    The Newport Music Hall (on campus)
    Apollo's (best gyros in Columbus)
    The Gateway
    The Arena District

Oh, and your closest Apple Store is in the Easton Town Center.

If you're a non driving student (which would be a plus, parking on campus is a bitch), I'd suggest you get a COTA bus pass (relatively inexpensive for students).

Lasty, I hope you enjoy your time at The Ohio State University as much as I did when I attended.

GO BUCKS!!

18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Penn State is officially "The Pennsylvania State University" but you NEVER hear it called that. And other then copyright mentions or diplomas, the school seldom refers to itself by its full name. Makes me wonder what's in the water in Columbus...

A few things to do before you graduate:
    1) go to a volleyball match, basketball game, and football game. As a Purdue and Penn State grad, let me tell you there is nothing quite like Big Ten Athletics (even if the rest of the country puts us down!). Just going out to watch the tailgating can be an experience!
    2) watch the marching band do a show (if you have ever been in a marching band, you know how amazing the Script Ohio is)
    3) attend a special lecture (I saw James Earl Jones, Robert Ballard, and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs speak - all just for the fun of it)
    4) learn a new sport (I learned to scuba dive. You will never get the chance to do some of these things as cheaply ever again in your life. And you have the time to do them.)
    5) Work for a professor to earn some extra money - I got a paper published that way and got a much better grasp of my field then I did sitting in a lecture.
    6) Volunteer. I had a great time working with Give Kids the World during an internship. And it forever changed my outlook on life.
    7) Be sure to spend a little time studying ;)

There is waaaaaaay too much to do at college to spend all your time bored or drunk!

19. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man, that is really helpful information, can't wait to start this March.;)

Good advice man, I will definitely keep this all in mind while at OSU. Thank!:D

20. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Fixed ~_^

And glad I could help.