Any one else having terrible reception in NYC?

Navagator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I have had the iPhone 4 for three weeks and this past week I have had literally 50% of my calls dropped. I called ATT today and had my call drop four times while I was on with them. The whole time, I had three or four bars and yes, I do have a bumper on the phone.

Anyone else been having problems this weekend? I don't want to return the phone, but I cant have half of my calls dropping.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I was in NYC for a show yesterday. I received a phone call before the show and within 30 seconds it was dropped. I called back, and the call was very broken and had the static-y noise in the background. This was the first time I've ever had a problem in NYC.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Could this have anything to do with the network (upload speed) fixes AT&T has been patching every tower with recently? My local tower in Colorado was seemingly fixed 2 days ago (speed test cap of 100kbps upload was removed) but calls are now dropping like crazy and data isn't going through reliably now. I turned off 3G on the iPhone and calls/data are once again fine over Edge. Turning 3G back on causes the problem to immediately show up again.

I thought it was an isolated issue with my tower but your post is making me question whether others are having similar issues. Of course it could be totally unrelated as well.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Yea it still sucks I as u can see live in staten island and it sucks it's like the guest I got was .96 Mbps downlode and .006 uplode witch is really bad. I'm in jersey for the weekend and it is supper fast 4.64 downlode and 1.38 uplode wich is amazing. I dint know if that is considered fast but I feel it is

Navagator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I think I am going to go to apple and get them to replace the phone. Give them 30 more days to improve the call quality. I don't make that many calls, but I need to be able to retain 90-95% of my calls.

phearx

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I live in queens, and haven't had one dropped call yet (knock on wood after this reply).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.