Any one else noticing a brown tint around apple apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gaz617, Aug 29, 2009.

1. gaz617 macrumors member

Its kinda hard to describe but in all apple apps post SL (finder, safari, mail) the top of the window has taken on a distinctly brown hue, I know I am not being paranoid (hopefully?). The picture doesn't actually show it that well, but hopefully you will know what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Were you using a non-standard colour profile prior to installing Snow Leopard?

The default profile (e.g. 'Color LCD' on MacBook Pros) is set to have a white point of 6500K, which is comparable to the warmth of sunlight.

If you were using a colour profile with a native white point on any LED-backlit Mac (any MacBook Pro after June 2007, for example) your screen would've been very white, or relatively blue.

Snow Leopard would've set your system to the standard colour profile (with the 6500K white point), which would make your grey title bars appear slightly 'brown', actually yellow.

Your eyes will get used to the new (normal) setting, so don't worry about it.

That's why the screen shot looks the same to anyone who looks at it. ;)

4. gaz617 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the explanation- before my SL install I was using Colour LCD (calibrated) on my macbook (core2duo 2007), would this be the root of the brown? You seem to know your stuff but how would my eyes adjust to it? Granted it does seems to be less brown the more I look at it :)

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I don't see any brown. Are you sure that this brown color isn't actually on your monitor? Because if so then a screenshot wouldn't show us this brown effect you're talking about. Try taking an actual photograph of your computer screen using a handheld camera and post that here also.

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hmm... did you do the calibration on the old profile? From what you're describing, that calibrated profile was probably set to your screen's native white point (hence the difference I described above).

It's most likely the source of the brown appearance you're experiencing.

It's kinda weird, but your eyes will eventually become accustomed to the new, warmer white point. If you were to spend an hour in a room full of blue lights, you'd go outside and everything would seem really yellow. It's the same with your screen.

I think what happens is that your eyes and/or brain get used to the colour temperature of your surroundings (or screen) and compensate over time. When you change from blue to yellow (or vice versa) it seems really bizarre, but after awhile you readjust.

My dad had one of his Macs set to the sRGB profile (an app had changed the settings) for quite a long time. When I changed it backed to the proper profile he said everything looked yellow and horrible! Sounds like what you're experiencing since your upgrade. :p

7. TXBDan macrumors regular

8. gaz617 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help man, it must be the 2.2 gamma. Im sure i'll get used to it, other than that SL is awesome

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can still change it back to 1.8 if you really want.

-Kevin