Any one else think the try out reservation is really dumb

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wiesenlooser, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

I was kind of thrown off by the fact that you need to make a reservation to TRY on an Apple Watch. This feels way too formal to me - kind of like an half commitment. The beauty of apple Stores was that you could always just drop by and check out their new products without any Apple Store Salesman bothering you... :(

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Your going to be able to look at the watches but if you want to put them on, you are going to need an appointment. You could obviously drop in and see if someone is able to help you try on watches but good luck from April 10th on.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Do you want to go to the Apple Store to try Watch only to find out that 1000 other people have the same idea? If only there was a reservation system so you don't have to line up, and you'd also get personalised service at the same time!

Wow, they should use a reservation system.

4. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

You mean like how it is with every iphone every year? Stores handle it fine. :rolleyes:

5. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

picking up and holding an iPhone that comes in 2 sizes and 3 colors, is a little different to trying on a watch with the array of straps and materials they have.

They're not going to be scattered across a desk for anyone to try one.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm sure phones have dozens of different models and dozens more bands with many different sizes each that customers would like to try on.

Not to mention the whole 'this is Apple's new, most personal device. Here, lets sit down one-on-one to get you acquainted so we can part you with your money'.

7. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

They dont. But typically Apple has at least two tables of iphones. They can make two tables with every band/ size/ combination to try on. What is the difference?

8. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Personally I would rather make a reservation rather than having to wait in line behind a bunch of geeks just to have 5 minutes looking at the watch. Having said that, I just plan on doing a pre-order and having it sent to my house. I know what I want and don't need to try one out.

9. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well you plan to buy one anyway. What about impulse buyers? They wont even be able to try an apple watch.

10. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I suspect that you can just walk into a store, tell them you want to check out the watch, and if there's an employee available, you get right in. If not, they reserve a slot for you and tell you to wait or come back in a bit.

But wouldn't it be better to do that from home and know what to expect?

The stores are so busy nowadays. How else can they do it? You'd have a bunch of people who just casually want to check it out that have no intention of buying and then those of us that are serious would have to wait longer.

I rather just reserve a spot knowing what to expect than be frustrated by trying to break through the mob.

For those who already know what they want, you won't need to reserve a time, just tell someone and they'll get it and ring it up.

11. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I think its a great idea. I spoke to an Apple salesperson yesterday and he said they will be putting out the display starting April 10th, all Apple stores will have the display, only certain stores will have the EDITION.

They will have the display out permanently from April 10th on, so im sure from open to close you can find your way to trying out the different watches. I have a feeling per-orders will start online the night of April 9th-10th, however you can pre-order up until April 23rd, via website or in-store.

Obviously the longer you wait to pre-order the less likely you will be able to order the exact band and case you want.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, as someone who values there time I love it.

From a practical perspective it's how it must be done, at least initially. The crush of people wanting to try on the watch is going to be more than an Apple Store can handle at one time. Plus the nature of the Watch means if Apple just tethered it to cord the user would not have a true experience of what it was like to wear the watch. So better to be nannied AND have staff to answer questions.

From a sales perspective it makes it easier for Apple to ring up a pre-order sale if staff is right there to take the order.

13. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

anything you pre-order from apple has to be done online. if you ask a sales rep to pre order you'll be directed to a computer to do it yourself.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Anything... up until now. I doubt Apple is going to instruct staff to refuse taking an order for a customer after they try it on during an appt. Everything Apple is telegraphing about the Apple Watch is that it has to be sold differently than an iPhone or a Mac.

15. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

nope. it will be the same. same thing with the mac pro which can be configured to over 10grand as well. pre orders are not till next month. a retail employee cannot pre order anything for a customer. they can help them do the process on a computer when the time comes. thats it.

16. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You don't wear iPhone maybe? And buying case for iPhone is always an afterthought which is unlike trying different bands,

17. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

I think the try out system is dumb, but not because of the appointment reservations.

If try outs start on April 10th, why not start pre-orders on April 17th? People who want to wait for the try outs before they pre-order will probably have to wait several weeks after April 24th to get their watch, whereas those who buy sight unseen will get theirs earlier.

18. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I was hoping for a "try it on before you buy" type of system, but wasn't sure how (or if) Apple would implement it.
    I like the idea of getting a chance to check the fit before commiting to purchase. I'm hovering between the 38mm and the 42mm due to my small (for a guy) wrists. Plus, I'm considering a different band and would like to test it out to see if the extra expense is worth it.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Unless you are Angela Ahrendts, which I'm 100% sure you are not, then your "nope" means zero to me. Unless you want to show me proof positive of how Apple is handling pre-order in-store then you have nothing to backup what you are saying... it's just your opinion, and opinion I wouldn't bet money on for sure.

20. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i'll buy your apple watch if apple decides to change how pre-orders are done.

if i'm right you'll buy me one.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I never bet more than beer, and only with friends. But tell you what, if I'm wrong come back and raz me if you want. If you are wrong realize the past is no indication of the future. Not everything is a robotic process.

22. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Have you ever really been inside an Apple Store around a product launch? It's insane, you can barely move.

I'm sure the reservation system will change as things calm down, but for starters it is a way to manage large crowds and ensure staff can keep an eye on the product (which doesn't really have an anchoring point for security) and give individual attention to those wanting to try one out.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

wait, people still que up for product launches?

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like the try out reservation. With all of the different combinations, I think that it is a good idea so people can try them on.

25. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

I'm seriously wondering where they said anything about needing reservations? They didn't say much in the keynote about April 10th except "of course our retail staff will be available to let you try on and find the perfect device". Did I miss something?