any one got a panasonic lumix?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by will waters, Oct 23, 2011.

1. will waters macrumors regular

hi
    I am looking at buying a panasonic G2, and if anyone has got any advice to whether it would be a good camera for the first time photographer, even if you could rate panasonic, all feed back is very useful

Will

2. Skoopman macrumors 6502

In my opinion the G2 is a bit of an overkill for a first timer. I got myself a LX-3 and I think that is more than enough for beginners and advanced users. It does take beautiful pictures if you make the right settings.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've been doing photography for years. About 80% of my equipment is Nikon DSLR, Nikkor lenses etc. Then for more casual fun work I have a few different brands & types. One of which is the Lumix G2. It's a great camera & a good choice for a beginner since as you progress you have a camera that you can grow into instead of having to buy another as you get better.

I'm very impressed with it's performance and build quality. I think you are on the right track & will truly enjoy this high quality long lasting camera.

4. graphicsward macrumors member

graphicsward

Lumix fan.

I had the Lumix lx3 for awhile and thought it was great. It took fabulous pictures for a point and shoot. Was great and small to carry around. I had to sell it when I needed some new flashes and still really miss it. I'd get another Lumix in a minute.

5. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I own a G2 and I think it's a great camera for the beginner. It has all of the manual settings (M,S,A,P), and you can shoot with the touch screen or the EVF. You can also shoot with legacy glass with an adapter.

6. kitsap2 macrumors newbie

kitsap2

I have had a G2 for a year now. It has been a great camera, and one which I'll be able to use for years to come. I don't require the latest upgrade every time they come out, the last camera I owned served me six years, and still produce nice images.

The G2 is well built, very nice ergonomics, great viewfinder, touch screen has its advantages, very good manual focusing (when you need it), and completely automatic when you just want to point and shoot.

7. will waters thread starter macrumors regular

lens's

Some one who has a G2, do you use any other lenses, which are not panasonic? If so how well do they go with the camera?

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

You should be able to use any micro 4/3rds lens, either by Panasonic or Olympus, without any problems. I have the kit lens, and I also use a 50mm f1.8 Nikon lens with a 4/3rds adapter. It's a series E manual lens and it works quite well.

9. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have a ZS6 (the ZS7 without the GPS) and recently took a three week trip through the NW US and used it exclusively even though I had my Rebel 450 with me. Pleased with the results and it was a pleasure to carry. Recommend two extra batteries though.

10. telluride macrumors newbie

i have a lumix camera and i cant get the videos to import into iPhoto. any ideas?

11. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

As a side note, I'd like to recommend to Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens. It's one of the few must own lenses for the micro 4/3 system IMHO.

12. Gary L. macrumors newbie

I have a Lumix ZS-5 and love it!

The camera seems really "smart". It seems to figure out a scene and almost always focus on the most important section of the frame.

I normally do landscape photography using a Nikon DSLR, but find myself carrying my ZS-5 in my hand while moving from place to place - perfect for grabbing some macro shots in between setups.

I am really enjoying this camera...

13. Zoreke macrumors member

I have the G1 (don't really need video), it is a really good camera, I'm impressed with the image quality adn it is easy to use, it has some great features (like really good live view controls).

I bought it to use as my everyday camera since my canon 40D is too big for a walkaround camera. I have two lenses now: 14-45 and 45-200 both with image stabilization and I really love them. Go for it it is a great camera for the first time photographer.

:D