Any one got replacement for their old power adapter recently?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Feb 5, 2011.

1. ariesfeng macrumors member

I have a 2009 MBP and it comes with the old MegaSafe power adapter that has the white connector. I recently found the LED light does not always turn on while charging. So I called Apple and they will send me a replacement.

But I am wondering if I will get the new adapter that has the metal connector on it?

I really like the old one. So does anyone get the replacement for their power adapter from APPLE recently?

Thanks!!

2. beaner454 macrumors regular

I did but was inperson at an Apple Store. They gave me one of the new versions.

Why don't you like the new one as much? I've found to be much improved. Now it only pops out if someone trips over the wire. Whereas with the old one ti would pop out even if I set the Macbook down on its power cord side.

3. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

interesting point. :D:D Now I am hoping I get the new magesafe adapter:D:D:D

4. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

I replaced my old style connector (T shape) with the new style connector (L shape) through applecare last month.
    I went through 3 T shaped connectors (all under applecare) until this last time.

The new design does seems much less stressful on the cord, however the T shape pulled out at any angle. You can pull the cord of the L shaped connector and easily slide your notebook off a table.

Support article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713

5. rosh325 macrumors regular

I agree. On my older MBP I got the power cord replaced under Applecare and I too find that the new L-shaped end seems to defeat the original purpose of the mag-safe. If you pull on the cord in the direction of the long part of the connector, the laptop will move with the cord. It will only disconnect if pulled in the opposite direction. Seems like a step backwards to me

6. xdbuix macrumors 6502

So basically you just called them about it and they issued the new one right away with no hassle? Because I probably need to do that. My 2008 macbook charger turns off sometimes and then blinks to its orange charge light.

Btw on another note, anyone try this in store?

7. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

I've always done it in store.

8. xdbuix macrumors 6502

wow so you jsut walked in and told them about it and got a new one w/o applecare?

9. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I talked to apple care on the phone and they will send the replacement via fedex overnight service

10. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

No, I have applecare. I made an appointment, brought in the cord, explained the problem, and they gave me a new one.

11. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Is that in a retail box?

12. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

The new cord? No.

I just brought the old one in and walked out with a new one. They exchanged it at the genius bar.

13. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Exchanged my "T shaped" for the "L shaped" (with Apple Care) it was starting to get all gnarly and frayed... I simply mentioned I thought it could be a hazard and they replaced it with no questions asked. I think even if you don't have Apple Care they will probably replace any failing T shapes for the L shapes just because they were known for having issues.