Any one haggled at an apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thecritix, Jul 18, 2008.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

So I'm going with my parents to hold their hands while they finally purchase an iMac tonight (probably)!

We're going to a UK store, but I wondered if anyone had ever had any experience haggling... I'd quite like to get either Apple care or an ipod touch thrown in. Just as a sweetener ;)

(Please no posts like 'good luck with that', to me Apple dont seam like the kind of company to haggle...) but i wanted to know if anyone had? as my dad won't be able to resist haggling!

Nick

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

"Good luck with that…" :D:D
    Unless you are a really big spender it seems chances are very slim. Might be fun to watch though. ;)

See these threads as well. Here and here

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I highly doubt you can haggle at the apple store...even the apple employees don't have any power there. It's a chain store with set prices, and apple has plenty of customers lined up to purchase their computers. So no I have never haggled there, because I knew it would be no use anyway.

If you are a student you can get an ipod with a mac with their student promotion.

4. G4DP macrumors 65816

Instead of going to a store. o online and save a basket from the apple online store with the imac in that you want.

You may get a phone call from sales in ireland asking you about it. I got apple care for free with my macpro when i did it this way.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

While I know that going to the Apple Store is all part of the experience — if your father is hell-bent on haggling why not go to say (in London) Tottenham Court Road… Plenty of shops there and a lot of guys working on comisssion who will happily throw in extras.

I am not saying you're going to walk away with a new iPod Touch (That's a lot to ask for) but you may get some USB cables and such. ;)

However I'd rather go to the Apple Store.

6. Veri macrumors 6502a

I haggled over the phone when purchasing a single iMac from Apple UK over the 'phone and got a discount offered on Applecare and something else I can't remember. The way he immediately provided a particular offer suggested to me that management had set limits and he was quoting them.

The worst they can do is say no. :)

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you purchase extras like MobileMe or AppleCare, you stand a pretty good chance of getting them at a lower price. For hardware, good luck. :D

8. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

A friend of mine haggled at the Apple Store in Kingston-upon-Thames and they let her have a 10% "corporate discount".

It's always worth a try - it's not as if they are going to throw you out. If you don't get the discount, just swallow your pride and take it at full-price :)

9. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for such constructive posts :)

So heres the price we're on at the moment:

iMac, 24-inch, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 065-7741
    2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB 065-7650
    500GB Serial ATA Drive 065-7653
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3 065-7738
    Apple wireless Mighty Mouse 065-7660
    Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English) 065-7664

iMac: £1,039.00
    Apple Care: £38.00

Subtotal: £1,077.00
    VAT: £188.48
    Order Total: £1,265.48

Admittedly thats come from me being in HE... but I could've got the girl on the chat to do better, but they don't have facility... she said to try the phone where they do.

Might try that later..
    :)

Nick

10. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I agree with this!!

I saved my MacBook as a quote and Apple rang me. I said I was saving it because I wasn't sure whether to buy it direct from Apple or from John Lewis because JL gave 2-years warranty on laptops.

The sales guy gave me AppleCare and iWork for free. He offered it me on the phone and within 5 minutes I had an email confirming the deal.

I would go with that, it seems they have more flexibility on the phone.

HTH

- D

11. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

After pulling out my cash for a MP and 23"cinema display (£2200+), I wanted the wireless mouse to go with it. I had toyed with the idea of purchasing one via the online store and forgot the wireless mouse option wasn't available. Just before I handed over the cash, the guy gave me some bullsh*t story that wireless mice aren't aimed towards pro users anyway - did I care? I was completely disgusted, spoke to the manager, she apologised but said it was against store policy. I bought the machine but ended up returning it since it was faulty.

Must admit, I didn't expect that from Apple, especially since I've had problems with other machines and have been recompensed very well in the past.

So, if you do manage to get something extra for free, be sure to post back.

12. aosman macrumors 6502

I would say there is a better chance of it working over the phone, but I really don't see it happening at an Apple Store.

13. Hates macrumors regular

What?!? That's a crazy price. I paid £1400 for mine in store only three weeks ago, and that's without Apple Care. How are you managing to get such a good price?

14. sananda macrumors 68020

higher education discount.

15. Hates macrumors regular

Ahh, I was wondering what HE stood for! :)

16. G4DP macrumors 65816

17. NStocks macrumors 65816

Does anybody know the percentage of Higher Education ? I will qualify for the Further Education discount which i was told in-store is 13%.

Can I get Education Discount on ANYTHING either in-store or online?

NStocks

18. Crunz macrumors newbie

Yes Actually, depending on the store you go, if you visit an Apple reseller instead of that store you can get a good deal on display models of machines, speakers and the like. I think the only way to get refurb deals is on the Apple online store though.

p.s. Yes theres the education discount too, which you might be able to swing. I used this discount myself at one stage, it's Supposed to apply to one computer per person per year, but if you buy your computer and all the addons you want for it now, i see no reason why they'd deny you the discount for the entire sale, not sure on that one though.

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm sure you can talk your way into getting a free Apple Remote.