Any one help me... I've a question regarding my Macbook Pro..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiemu, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Chiemu macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro 15" notebook. It's still under the warranty. so I have a problem with it, the fan suddenly make noise and then it shuts down by it self. It happens randomly. sometimes it can be just 1 times a month, but sometimes it can really up to 4 times a month. I bring it to apple store and talked with the genius. He took it and bring it to the depot. After a week later, I picked up my notebook. And the result is, they didn't find the problem. They didn't find anything wrong. I took it home, after 2 weeks later, it happens again. The fan suddenly make a noise and it shuts down again by itself. I took it again to the apple store, and again they didn't find anything. So what should I do? It really frustrated me... I spent for $2100 for this thing, and I didn't get a good quality on this machine. So where should I go? should I make a complaint letter to the headquarter? If yes, where should I send it? (email address, office address) anyone know the address?
    please help me.. thx

2. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

You do know that you can not tilt, lift or turn your macbook pro when it is on right? If you do, then there is a chance your fan will scratch against the inside, or you can lose your memory on your HDD.

This also goes for if you pick your macbook up in a certain spot, mainly where the fan is located. It will press against the fan and make a grinding noise.
    Note - When I say on, I mean Sleeping too.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I move, tilt, lift and turn mine all the time when it's on, it's a laptop after all. Also, there's no moving parts when the computer is sleeping (only the memory remains powered on), so you can move it as much as you like when it's sleeping.

Regarding the OP, the best thing to do in my opinion is to call Applecare and explain that it's an intermittent problem that the Apple Store haven't been able to recreate due to the fact that it's an intermittent problem. They might agree to have a look at it or recommend some alternative solution. Intermittent faults are the worst to diagnose because they inevitably never happen when they're being looked at!

4. Chiemu thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any chances that I can get any replacement? because I'm stressed out because of these things happening...

5. finalcut macrumors 6502

I'd ask to applecare if I were you. You never know. And since you are still under warranty...

6. Chiemu thread starter macrumors newbie

so I just have to call to the apple numbers? or is there any other way? like sending a letter, or email? thank youuu...

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

lol I don't really know where to start with this one ^ I'll just say No to it all.

8. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Yeah kind of negates the idea of a portable doesn't it. :rolleyes:

9. Chiemu thread starter macrumors newbie

does some one have any experience like this? or your friends have it? how to convince the apple care then.. I'm really confused and stressed out.. =(

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Take careful notes over a couple of months - like when does it happen and what are you running when it happens. Install istat menus and keep an eye on CPU usage and temperature, and fan speeds. See if you can find a pattern. If you can, you're more likely to be able to reproduce it at will, so can show it to the Genius.

11. Chiemu thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid that they can't do anything with my macbook pro... so sad... =(

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Actually, I heard that if you look at the iSight the wrong way, it will cause the screen to crack, and pressing any buttons can cause case warping (that's why they're working on the Macbook Wheel) :rolleyes:

Keep a log, keep pestering them. You paid for a working machine. You didn't get that. Ask them if you can return if if they won't fix it. Be firm.

13. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

well first thing you should do is try to figure out what causes this to happen. like are you running certain programs, do you have a lot of programs open causing heat, are you running something graphic intensive, are you watching flash online etc... etc..... I would think something is trigerring this.

once you figure out what is going on when it happens then hopefully you can replicate it over and over and then when you feel comfortable that you can make it happen take it to the genius and do it in front of them.

Maybe someone here can give you one of those programs that are designed to test your graphics card and/or CPU and then you can see if running that causes the problem to occur.

14. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

The fans need to be replaced. There is obviously something wrong with them, call apple or take it back into the store and tell them it still happens but its totally random, so you need to just replace the fans this time.

15. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue on my mid 07 MBP. I noticed the fan make a rattling noise but it wouldn't last long and would reoccur every once in a while. Eventually the fan became really loud and was rattling a lot without any return to normal noise level. In a some what related issue the screen began to malfunction. i was getting this weird distortion that would make the screen a dark gray color or have a static problem over 1/3 or 2/3rds or all of the screen. I took it in and they replaced the screen three times and the logic board twice and it didn't fix anything. they thought it might have been a short in some wire in the top right of the computer near the power button which would have explained all the symptoms.

I ended up with a replacement because one they couldn't fix it after multiple trips but also I had no more time to deal with being computerless. so if the problem persists they should fix it for you. Just keep calling and save all your paperwork from repairs and try to record the problem if possible so you have something to show them.

Here is a picture of what the screen looked like at its worst.

Attached Files: