Any one here use OPTIVAL RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Murasamee, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Murasamee macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I just recently purchased a mac pro for my home studio and have been looking to upgrade my RAM. I am currently just looking for a 4gb update, preferably a 2x2gb setup. I ran into this RAM on Ebay called OPTIVAL by Omni Technologies for about $319. Now, I have done my research with RAM for the MAC PRO so I know my way around. Any one here have experience with this RAM? If so, thoughts?

Any help would be GREAT! :)

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don't hold the same opinion of Omni as MM does.
    Resellerratings.com is worth looking up.

Good RAM from a good company is $338 at Data Memory Systems, complete with Apple approved heatsinks (no extra charge). 8-Core compatible, and no restocking charges / shipping charges on warranty in the first 30 days.

Other options OWC, Crucial (use the link at the top of this page), Kingston

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

After reading around the forums here, I bought 4 x 1GB sticks of Optival RAM for my Mac Pro. When they arrived, they had exactly the same heatsinks as the standard Apple RAM, however 2 of the sticks showed ECC errors in system profiler while 2 were fine. All 4 passed testing in Rember. The ones with ECC errors were replaced by OMNI without quibble with a turn-round time (to the UK) of just one week. I've had no more errors.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I use Omni ram too, both in my MacPro, my imac core duo, macbook

I have never had any problems with reliability of their ram.

My MacPro has an additional 4gb of memory from them 1x4 1gb and has never had any eec errors etc...

6. Murasamee thread starter macrumors newbie

This seems to be the general thought with every RAM that I have done research on. Every now and then you run into a bad batch, no matter what company it is. Optival is here in Florida, so that might be a plus if I get any bad sticks.

Now, I am confused...do these come with the certified heat sinks or do I have to buy those seperately. They look identical in the picture to the ram I have from apple. Help?

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Ask Them

Call them up and ask them.

I just called them. They use the exact same heat sinks Apple does. They are 100% up to the Apple specification with their Optival product. And they have the lowest failure rate of anyone in the industry 1 in 600 sticks are defective and cheerfully replaced. You should call and talk to them.

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

What's The Method Of Measuring ECC Errors?

How do you measure EEC Errors? What software do you use to find out the RAM is defective?

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

System Profiler. I took screenshots in case OMNI wanted proof but they replaced the RAM without question.

Here's one:

[​IMG]

This was immediately after start-up. DIMM B1 was showing 6 errors.

10. Murasamee thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called Optival today and it def seems like they have their stuff straight. A buddy of mine just called me saying he bought 8gb of RAM from them for his 8-Core MP for his studio and he told me that they are working flawlessly. I think I am going to just go ahead and give these guys a chance, and see where we go from there....next stop, Samsung HD's.....:D

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE