Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Hi everyone,

about 3 days ago i spilt some water into my ibook g3

i let is sit until about now and it booted up fine.

i repaired disk permissions, verified the disk, (and there were no problems) and i also ran a full hardware test in tech tool deluxe and everything passed.

i noticed my computer was running a little slow, so i opened up the activity monitor and i see that this process called "UniversalSerialB" (which is the USB) is using the CPU between 60% and 80%. (There is a screenshot attached of the activity monitor window in a PNG format)

I'm not using the USB anymore than i usually do, and when i usually use it and not doing anything, it uses no cpu speed. And now nothing is happening on my USB bus besides just perefials being plugged in.

Wierd.

I would appreciate some responses.

Thanks very much for all of your help.

Julian

:apple:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    94 KB · Views: 83

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
here are some other screenshots that might be helpful

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 61

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Have you tried killing it? It starts up rather early so I'd check your printer driver and login items.

yes i have tried killing it

it wont stop

and i have no printer attached and none of my login items have anything to do with USB

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
i did give you the full process name
it is "UniversalSerialB"
that is exactly what it is

its not shortened at all
I think you misunderstood Eldorian. "killing" a process means either doing a ForceQuit on it in Activity Monitor or typing "kill <pid>" in Terminal.

Hmm, it's a root process you probably can't kill it directly. Are you running an admin account?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
yes i have tried killing it

it wont stop

and i have no printer attached and none of my login items have anything to do with USB
After having a few more minutes to think about it, it's the UniversalSerialBus service. At least that's my guess. I dug around in /System/Libary with no real luck.

No clue why it's doing that.

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
I think you misunderstood Eldorian. "killing" a process means either doing a ForceQuit on it in Activity Monitor or typing "kill <pid>" in Terminal.

Hmm, it's a root process you probably can't kill it directly. Are you running an admin account?

yes i am

but u reminded me of something

i will try logging into my root acount and try it from there

i will post my results in a minute

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
It looks like a stalled CoreService to me. It's trying to do something at boot and won't give up.

it could be
when i am done with what i am doing on the computer now than i will try restarting the comp now

but i logged into my root account and tried to force quit that task but it didnt work

and replying to what that other guy said about the USB port being damaged:

it is possible that the water could have damaged the USB port while it was in, but i am using things now that are plugged into both USB ports on my ibook and everything is working fine

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007

i'm getting syntax errors in terminal when trying that

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
What exactly are you typing? <pid> means the process id - which is 265 from your last screenshot. So you should type:
sudo kill 265

and if that doesn't work:
sudo kill -9 265

Since it's a root process you need su privileges, hence the sudo.

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
What exactly are you typing? <pid> means the process id - which is 265 from your last screenshot. So you should type:
sudo kill 265

and if that doesn't work:
sudo kill -9 265

Since it's a root process you need su privileges, hence the sudo.

it didnt work

it pormpted it for my password and then after i entered it, the process was still running

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.