Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Danny Nava wrote in #210 above:
"I’m pretty sure the pop is the speakers shutting off while skimming through videos or music. An update that’ll keep them from shutting off right away after a second only should solve it"

I'll guess that Apple has designed things so that the speakers will automatically shut off after a sound clip is done playing, to conserve battery power.

Perhaps some software -- Resolve was mentioned -- does something to over-ride this. Thus, no "pop" when using it.

Danny's solution sounds like the right approach, too.

Reactions: Danny Nava

g75d3

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
Can somebody check if audio pops don’t happen when using headphones or external audio interface?

covedrop

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
So, I'm having trouble replicating this, but I believe it's a thing.

However, it's worth mentioning that some of the behavior needed to replicate this issue is pretty silly and most serious editors are going to use headphones anyway.

clicking through a YouTube video is far from silly. Scrubbing through a clip in fcpx isn’t silly either. Playing a software instrument in logic is also far from silly. Not sure what else you’re referring to?

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
clicking through a YouTube video is far from silly. Scrubbing through a clip in fcpx isn’t silly either. Playing a software instrument in logic is also far from silly. Not sure what else you’re referring to?

agreed, and even such, using reference speakers such as the built-in ones for editing is not silly or unheard of.

I'm ready to order one of these MBPs, hopefully its a simply update fix.

covedrop

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
I called in to support last night with the only goal to get some information/shed some light. As I told the advisor, I already exchanged for a unit with the same issue, and I'm uncertain whether sending it for repair will help either - I don't want to roll the dice, I'll act when they have an actionable process that will guarantee a working unit.

That being said, the senior advisor I spoke to was very helpful, and mentioned that there is some activity regarding this issue starting to form. So keep calling in if you're affected by it! It will help them pay attention.

I had a good conversation with the advisor, and they'll be sending off the data to the engineering team and calling me back next week to gather some more information that the engineers want whenever they deal with the case. He said he'll personally take over the case and keep correspondence with me until a resolution is reached.

So, sounds good. Sure, I'd rather this didn't happen, and I'm a little disappointed just out of principle, but if they pay attention to me as the advisor did in that conversation and reach a resolution, then that's the best I can ask for. Nothing is perfect but as long as things get dealt with its fine with me.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
This issue has been going on since the first T2 macbook chip and Mojave was the same it’s not an issue with the new MacBooks, it’s so annoying

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Danny Nava wrote in #210 above:
"I’m pretty sure the pop is the speakers shutting off while skimming through videos or music. An update that’ll keep them from shutting off right away after a second only should solve it"

I'll guess that Apple has designed things so that the speakers will automatically shut off after a sound clip is done playing, to conserve battery power.

Perhaps some software -- Resolve was mentioned -- does something to over-ride this. Thus, no "pop" when using it.

Danny's solution sounds like the right approach, too.

It is possible they need to tweak how the speakers power down when there is no sound through them to even out the pops, yes. Sounds about right.

BeatWilson

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
I decided that im pretty sure tomorrow i will be returning my macbook in the morning. I use this thing for audio. I really dont want to be dealing with issues. Also i think i may of heard a couple clicks/pops with the headphones on.... just sorta over it... great device... too high of price....

i will be waiting for the 13/14 inch 2020 macbook to upgrade my dj labtop to then. I will build a pc for video editing and music production. I know it will last a long time that way. I feel like laptops are sometimes just time bombs. and if it macbooks only have a 3 years warranty then technically im putting X amount of dollars Potentially for only 3 years. This macbook is a bit much in price. and yes i do know they all are to some degree. like i said. ill wait til this figure out this whole audio thing and maybe dip back in later. for now... Specced out PC.... Ryzen9/64gbram/rtx2070 I can just leave it running all day with little to know worried as long as the cooling is proper.

Anyways. It is what it is.

Reactions: g75d3

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
However, it's worth mentioning that some of the behavior needed to replicate this issue is pretty silly and most serious editors are going to use headphones anyway.

Not silly at all. Is it silly to just scrub a video in YT or just skim a clip in FCPX? I consider my self as a serious editor as i am making my living doing this and believe me, wearing headphones 7-8 hours a day is the fastest way to damage your ears.

Nicolò Capovilla

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
Hmm, interesting discovery. I just installed Boom3D to use the EQ (the speakers on this thing need EQ, I am trying a 2-4dB cut at 100Hz-500Hz right now, they sound much better) and the popping sound when seeking in YouTube has gone away. May be worth trying since Boom3D has a free trial available.

Has anybody else tried this? Boom3D cost about 15$. It would be great if it’s able to solve this issue.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I am fairly sure Apple will this fix in an upcoming release. They are generally quick in fixing these kind of launch day issues. Why not wait a bit?

BeatWilson

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
it does not work. also yes today i got the click like 5 times in bootcamp.
soo that confirms window and mac os. im pretty sure ive heard it through headphones but cant confirm that yet. i might just go exchange it and hope for the best. it seems some people may not have this issue. so.

Reactions: hajime and g75d3

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
it does not work. also yes today i got the click like 5 times in bootcamp.
soo that confirms window and mac os. im pretty sure ive heard it through headphones but cant confirm that yet. i might just go exchange it and hope for the best. it seems some people may not have this issue. so.

That solution (quicktime) fixed it completely for me. You may have a more generalised hardware issue if that doesn't work and an exchange may be needed.

BeatWilson

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
That solution (quicktime) fixed it completely for me. You may have a more generalised hardware issue if that doesn't work and an exchange may be needed.
alright so... it happens in google chrome no matter what. but the quicktime strategy works for safari.
can anyone confirm this for me so that i can cut down whats wrong, if anything. thanks.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
If quicktime doesnt work, try play 10h black screen video on youtube and see if that helps
Its strange that for others even chrome is buggy..here its just on safari

Reactions: MengkeMary

MrMacuser42

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I have found thread on Apple Community forum and one of member said that:
I talked with them and they confirmed this is a software issue and working on the fix.
so IMO there is nothing to worry right now, we need to wait.

Currently I have MBP 15" 2018 and I also noticing speakers popping sometimes. Just dealing and living with it ;)

r boyett

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I only hear a slight pop when I stop playing a video or audio file. Otherwise it has been perfect.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Every time there's a pop when you skip in YouTube, this error appears in the Console:

default 17:35:04.917068+1100 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent SourceBufferPrivateAVFObjC::enqueueSample(89250002) prerollDecodeWithCompletionHandler failed

Bit of a clue there methinks...
You are on to something there. Apple should be able to resolve this with software.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
The more I think about this issue as an audio producer it really bothers me. I just don't understand how Apple misses such glaring problems. It doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to patch via software. What are their engineers doing?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
The more I think about this issue as an audio producer it really bothers me. I just don't understand how Apple misses such glaring problems. It doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to patch via software. What are their engineers doing?

Being a software developer, my guess is the hardware guys saved $0.01 by removing a pull down resistor some where and it's unfixable short of never powering down the amps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.