Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

DRuser

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
OSX10.15.2 made it worse for me. Had very rarely any popping issues in Youtube and FCPX. After upgrading it is a permanent thing with Youtube and the pops got a lot louder. FCPX still seems to be on the same ok-ish level.

Last edited:

Nikita Zelenyuk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
So am I understand correctly, if I bought my MacBook Pro 16 in Singapore and now Im currently in Dubai. I can't return it or exchange it for a different one? because of this issue

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Screenshot 2019-12-12 08.48.41.png

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I've noticed that it is less, but if you command q during a YouTube video or move around in Apple TV app it still pops. It's half baked again. Going to call apple and ask what the deal is as I"m considering returning this. Not a deal breaker, but at this price point and the track record Apple has established you'll forgive me for not having confidence in them.

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Apple has never confirmed that 10.15.2 is the official fix. Some users are reporting fixes/improvements others, including myself, are still experiencing issues.

Before returning the device I would still stay put and wait it out. Holiday return policy ends on Jan 8th, almost 4 weeks left!

Reactions: GlenK

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Apple has never confirmed that 10.15.2 is the official fix. Some users are reporting fixes/improvements others, including myself, are still experiencing issues.

Before returning the device I would still stay put and wait it out. Holiday return policy ends on Jan 8th, almost 4 weeks left!
Does Apple ever "confirm" anything? They notoriously let issues linger for many years, never speaking a word. ;)

Reactions: dmstasinos

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
For those claiming it's fixed play YouTube and while it's playing hit Command Q and see if it does it. I'm going to bet you it still does it or if you watch a movie or show in Apple TV on Catalina it will too.

I did speak with Apple support and they indicated the engineers are still working on it and an update is being worked on. That being said, they couldn't give a timeline and as Foldpages, we do have till the 8th. But the Apple advisor did tell me that I should probably take advantage of the return policy. Does that sound like someone who has a high degree of confidence in their own company to you?..... Interesting...

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
For those claiming it's fixed play YouTube and while it's playing hit Command Q and see if it does it. I'm going to bet you it still does it or if you watch a movie or show in Apple TV on Catalina it will too.

I did speak with Apple support and they indicated the engineers are still working on it and an update is being worked on. That being said, they couldn't give a timeline and as Foldpages, we do have till the 8th. But the Apple advisor did tell me that I should probably take advantage of the return policy. Does that sound like someone who has a high degree of confidence in their own company to you?..... Interesting...
Yikes, I would say not. Sounds like a wink and a nod to return it. I just cancelled an order for a CTO MBP. I think I will wait a few months to see if this gets fixed. Apple might have to adjust some hardware behind the scenes as well. I am assuming they do that from time to time with no announcement? I would be seriously bummed if I were someone who bought one of these day one to find out that Apple two months later updated a hardware component!

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
With the holiday return policy I think it makes sense to wait a bit. Sucks because its a home run in so many areas. But I totally understand certain professionals that are impacted by the pops that can't work around it.

I've gone through a fair amount of laptops In my day. Whether its Lenovo, HP, Razer, Dell, etc. They all have irritating QC issues (coil whine, ghosting, crashes, etc). Not making excuses for Apple, but if you like the laptop for the most part, may be worth stretching towards the end of the holiday policy.

Not suggesting anyone keep a product they aren't satisfied with, but if they like 90% about it, may be worth waiting a bit since the issue has gotten visibility.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
No I'll wait till the 8th at the least, but I'm by no way willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. This is a replacement for the awful butterfly keyboard issues and I am very meticulous about my hardware and taking care of it (I know we all say that), but it has been. I've asked Apple to give an extension to the return period to avoid me returning the machine as I won't trust them after the last year.

Reactions: dspdoc and MikeVera

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
No I'll wait till the 8th at the least, but I'm by no way willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. This is a replacement for the awful butterfly keyboard issues and I am very meticulous about my hardware and taking care of it (I know we all say that), but it has been. I've asked Apple to give an extension to the return period to avoid me returning the machine as I won't trust them after the last year.

Oh yea couldn't agree more! If it's not fixed and it affects someones usability/workflow, absolutely should be returned!

Reactions: g75d3

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Not noticing any pops after 10.15.2 update, I did a clean install yesterday. Nothing while scrubbing in a video, pausing/playing, even while quitting Safari while playing a video. Zero pops for me.

Reactions: GlenK and jerryk

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Just finished working on fcp project - during two hours I haven't noticed pop even once. It is fixed definitively for me.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

Thought it was fixed for me, but tried Command Q and got a big pop. I couldn't reproduce it again however.

chenlola

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
macOS 10.15.2
100% , better but not fix.
I used 20 hours after updating to 10.15.2.
Sizzling, poping, sequential poping, are still here,

Even some guys said the update fixes this issue.
But you should really take care of sequential poping, It's sometimes happening when you listen to Music or using Logic pro, etc. It's a so low-pitch sound that hard to listen.

Reactions: g75d3

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
macOS 10.15.2
100% , better but not fix.
I used 20 hours after updating to 10.15.2.
Sizzling, poping, sequential poping, are still here,

Even some guys said the update fixes this issue.
But you should really take care of sequential poping, It's sometimes happening when you listen to Music or using Logic pro, etc. It's a so low-pitch sound that hard to listen.

Well this isn't good lol

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
ok nvm, i closed a youtube tab with some music playing, mid-song and i heard the pop again. solid.

scrubbing through youtube videos doesn't reproduce it anymore it seems at least.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
ok nvm, i closed a youtube tab with some music playing, mid-song and i heard the pop again. solid.

scrubbing through youtube videos doesn't reproduce it anymore it seems at least.
If this is a software bug, is it worth picking it up? I have a 2012 air right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.