Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
So I received my 16" back from AppleCare Support (again) and this time they say they couldn't reproduce the issue, this is despite them reproducing it the first time and replacing the Audio Board and it still being the exact same issue.

I have a Genius Bar appointment in a few days where I'll easily be able to reproduce the issue in front of them so I'll see what happens after that.

This is starting to annoy me now.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I had my appointment at the Apple Store today with a Genius and it went pretty well.

He asked if I was able to reproduce the issue which I was able to reproduce instantly for him and he agreed that it was not normal and that there was most certainly an issue, they are now doing the repair in-house.

He seemed frustrated when I showed him the previous repair order for the Audio Board which is apparently the completely wrong part as it should have required replacement speakers (which means replacing the whole top case) and even more frustrated when I showed him the *2nd* repair order where they couldn't reproduce the issue.

They have put an order in for the required part and he said it will be treated as a priority repair and aims to have the part delivered and item repaired within 3-5 days.

I'm just glad that the issue has been verified with someone on the Apple side and I hopefully won't have to jump through anymore hoops.

coach_ditka

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2019
Illinois, USA
I just got a base 16” a couple of weeks ago and heard what sounded like a hiss for a few minutes during initial step. Haven’t heard anything like it since. Running Latest version of Catalina and using a Dell WD19TB dock for power and external monitors.

Tarek S. Abdelhamed

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
I'm still experiencing the same issue until today, I work on a quite heavy projects on Xcode and I can instantly reproduce it by doing something that's CPU / GPU intensive. A friend of mine got a 16 inch as well, works on the same project and is experiencing EXACTLY the same issue luckily he called for replacement and it's getting processed within 7 - 10 days. I'm just seeing it a mile away already, free replacement program but in a year or two just like the stupid butterfly keyboard.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
i use safari, in youtube i dont have this issue...or in any other video playback...i have the 5500 model. Manufactured april 2020

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
So I just collected my MacBook Pro today from the Genius Bar and I'm incredibly unhappy with the resolution.

They replaced the top half of the machine, I tested it before leaving and the issue *still* persisted.

I complained that the issue has not been resolved and was handed over to one of their Mac technicians to discuss the issue, he agreed with the last Genius that there was an audible pop/crack noise happening after taking it to the back room to listen.

He then retrieved one of their test machines (same MacBook Pro 16") and it had the same audible pop/crack whilst playing audio and based off this he insisted that it was meant to be happening and it was within specifications, I explained that I've used other MacBook Pro 16" devices that did NOT have this issue but he didn't really care since he was able to replicate the behaviour on the machine he had there.

I was escalated to the Lead Genius who agreed with him that although they can clearly hear the popping noise they consider it to be normal behaviour and they were not going to permit any further repairs and essentially they wouldn't do anything until there was an ongoing Service Program for the issue.

Unacceptable as far as I'm concerned and I'm hoping to escalate it further with Apple Support until there's some sort of acceptable resolution.

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I honestly never noticed this issue before but since installing Big Sur it has been very noticeable for me. Any time a sound is played, even a system sound like moving something to the trash, pop. Is it software? I don't want to ship my Mac in when I rely on it for work, only to get it back later with the same issue.

Edit: or is it possible it's been there this whole time??

Last edited:

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I honestly never noticed this issue before but since installing Big Sur it has been very noticeable for me. Any time a sound is played, even a system sound like moving something to the trash, pop. Is it software? I don't want to ship my Mac in when I rely on it for work, only to get it back later with the same issue.

Edit: or is it possible it's been there this whole time??

It's one of those things that when you notice it, you can't unnotice it and it's very, very irritating.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
APPLE LOGIC

If the device shows failure or is failing - its meant to be this way.

Tim Cool

Ahaahaahah

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It's one of those things that when you notice it, you can't unnotice it and it's very, very irritating.
I think this might actually be it. I sort of remember noticing something like this before but told myself to not make a big deal about it and let it go. But this time I was checking for issues after the new OS installation and noticed it again, paid attention, and now I just can’t unhear it. It happens far more frequently than I thought. Even if I just load a website with a muted video ad, still, “pop.”

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I think this might actually be it. I sort of remember noticing something like this before but told myself to not make a big deal about it and let it go. But this time I was checking for issues after the new OS installation and noticed it again, paid attention, and now I just can’t unhear it. It happens far more frequently than I thought. Even if I just load a website with a muted video ad, still, “pop.”

Yup, pops when loading webpages, pops when you scrub through YouTube, pops when some system sounds are played, pops when scrubbing in Final Cut, pops when scrubbing in Premiere., pops, pops, pops.

I was on call with one of the Senior Support guys earlier because I'm seriously not happy with the machine and will get a call back tomorrow after he's done some research.

I am hoping we'll reach some sort of conclusion because I find myself avoiding using the machine I find it so annoying which isn't acceptable on a £3k machine when I know from experience that there are 16" Pros out there that don't have the same issue.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Yup, pops when loading webpages, pops when you scrub through YouTube, pops when some system sounds are played, pops when scrubbing in Final Cut, pops when scrubbing in Premiere., pops, pops, pops.

I was on call with one of the Senior Support guys earlier because I'm seriously not happy with the machine and will get a call back tomorrow after he's done some research.

I am hoping we'll reach some sort of conclusion because I find myself avoiding using the machine I find it so annoying which isn't acceptable on a £3k machine when I know from experience that there are 16" Pros out there that don't have the same issue.
It really does! I mean it sound crazy but I hear it all the time now. It really is a mind **** to wonder if it was always doing it and I never noticed, or if it's new.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Since updating to Big Sur it seems like the issue on my 16 in is gone in YouTube and Music (or I'm having problems triggering it). I'm still able to trigger it by opening Musescore and playing audio while it opens, but that may be an app side thing? I'm not noticing the pops whenever audio plays like the above user, and I am on 44khz. Let me know what your guys experience is.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Since updating to Big Sur it seems like the issue on my 16 in is gone in YouTube and Music (or I'm having problems triggering it). I'm still able to trigger it by opening Musescore and playing audio while it opens, but that may be an app side thing? I'm not noticing the pops whenever audio plays like the above user, and I am on 44khz. Let me know what your guys experience is.
So just as a test, if you open a YouTube video and mute it, and then scrub around the video while keeping your ear near the left speaker, you don't hear anything?

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
So just as a test, if you open a YouTube video and mute it, and then scrub around the video while keeping your ear near the left speaker, you don't hear anything?
I just tried this and I’m really not hearing anything at all. Are you on the 16? Absolutely nothing like musescore if it’s there, which is a loud popping sound. Also nothing like the issue when it first was noticed around 10.15.2 where scrubbing could produce very loud pops.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
another user here claimed that the thumping issue in DAW’s was fixed on Big Sur. I assumed this was the case with the speaker popping. I’ll just use my laptop tonight instead of on monitor to continue to test it out but so far I’m noticing an improvement on 44khz which was a problem sample rate. Things may change as I play around with it more

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I just tried this and I’m really not hearing anything at all. Are you on the 16? Absolutely nothing like musescore if it’s there, which is a loud popping sound. Also nothing like the issue when it first was noticed around 10.15.2 where scrubbing could produce very loud pops.
Yeah, I'm on the 16. I've been reading through this thread and saw a lot about changing the MIDI frequency. I opened the app and saw by default I'm on 48k. I decided to try 44.1k, and surprisingly, the issue is much, much worse. Pop at the start and finish of audio sometimes, and actually it moved speakers and is more in the right one than the left one. What a weird issue.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Yeah, I'm on the 16. I've been reading through this thread and saw a lot about changing the MIDI frequency. I opened the app and saw by default I'm on 48k. I decided to try 44.1k, and surprisingly, the issue is much, much worse. Pop at the start and finish of audio sometimes, and actually it moved speakers and is more in the right one than the left one. What a weird issue.
Don’t know what to tell you, I’m on Big Sur and not noticing it. I can take videos if you want. Most people I know with a 16 are reporting the issue is gone or improved

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Don’t know what to tell you, I’m on Big Sur and not noticing it. I can take videos if you want. Most people I know with a 16 are reporting the issue is gone or improved
Yeah honestly I don't know what you could tell me either lol. I have messed around with my computer all night and nothing has changed the character of the sound at all. I've enclosed a video to help show what I'm dealing with (starting and stopping a song, I muted the song itself so you can just hear the speaker.) I swear it wasn't this bad before Big Sur. I don't know what changed. I don't really know what to do about it.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Yeah honestly I don't know what you could tell me either lol. I have messed around with my computer all night and nothing has changed the character of the sound at all. I've enclosed a video to help show what I'm dealing with (starting and stopping a song, I muted the song itself so you can just hear the speaker.) I swear it wasn't this bad before Big Sur. I don't know what changed. I don't really know what to do about it.

View attachment 1673383
Yeah, I’ve had the exact opposite experience. It was worse on Catalina, I’m having issues triggering it on Big Sur save for a single app. You could of course try reinstalling the OS etc. I’ve attached a video of me trying to replicate the issue and I’m unable too. The sample rate is on 44khz. It may be a unit variance issue?

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Here's the popping noise my MacBook makes when I'm doing anything audio related, I set up a playlist of videos:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Here's the popping noise my MacBook makes when I'm doing anything audio related, I set up a playlist of videos:
Gotta say I think yours is even worse than mine, like yours is loud like it's been added on to the YouTube video audio itself. But when you play the system sounds, yeah mine is just like that. The crack kind of pop. Lol we don't even have good words to describe it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.