Any one upset with safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBH928, Aug 19, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,
    I have been using Safari since it was released on my 2002 imac, and all the way now to my 2009 macbook.

I must say , lately I have been upset.
    I am running 10.6.4 and safari 5.0.1

The browser is really slow, its like bloatware . Click from one tab to the other, shutting windows, and more all of it gives me beach balls.

I used to have glims installed, but then I figured it must be glims that slow things down. I uninstalled it, I got better performance.

Now I have Safari with 2 extensions: Adblock and Google search cleanup. I also have click2Flash. The performance is terrible now.

I am running Chrome, and its much more snappier and I believe pages load faster a bit I am not sure. The only problem is that it runs HOT when playing flash videos like on youtube.

Any one having same difficulties with Safari?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Searching the forum with MRoogle will reveal dozens of threads where people are complaining about or praising Safari. If you don't like it, don't use it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

imo, safari has always been a bit bloated and always seemed to suffer from memory leaks. With that said, though I'm content with using it in OSX. On windows I use firefox, but for some reason I don't like the experience, i.e., not as user friendly as safari.

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I found that the AdBlock extension caused major problem (slow downs, hangs) with Safari on my MBP. I uninstalled it (the extension) and started using AdBlocker (non-extension ad blocking) and I've been really happy. Much faster - no hanging.

http://sweetpproductions.com/safariadblocker/

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Have you tried resetting Safari? Safari > Reset Safari

6. SmackP macrumors member

That's funny, I was going to create a thread just like this.

I got fed up with the beachballs and lags (when it beach balled it wasn't using any CPU or even HDD, just paused for no reason).

It just seemed like a laggy delayed experience even with the reset so I changed to Opera (today) and I'm amazed by the fluid speed.

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Agreed. It's as simple as that.

Personally, I stopped using Safari a while back since it seems to be on the same level as Internet Explorer at this point. :eek:

8. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

Ive got the same problem(s) like you. Im trying to go over to Firefox - the latest Beta of Firefox 4, and I like it so far. give it a try...

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not here. Safari 5.0.1 works like a charm.

10. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I was looking to see if I was alone in this
    maybe the issue is with my computer, but seems that Safari is a bloatware some how.

Apple quality changed a lot since around 2002-2004. They used to have breakthrough inventions and software, now they have bloatware.

I did a reset to Safari, but not on everything I wanted to keep the usernames and passwords. I will un-install ad-block extension and see what happens, maybe it will fix the issue.

Will come back to post updates on what happened

11. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I hear that the latest update did not resolve the dns probs and another update was in the works.

12. waynechriss macrumors regular

I use Safari and Chrome in tandem, I don't see it as slow really but I do know Chrome is faster. Chrome sucks with Youtube with me though because the player would often freeze for a bit on each video and Safari that doesn't happen.

13. iFanboy Guest

No, it's a browser, it didn't sleep with my gf......

14. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I uninstalled the adblock extension and installed the plug-in
    I kept two extensions : - Gentle Status Bar and Google Search Cleanup

I also have click2Flash installed.

I did a reset to safari,but kept the usernames and passwords.
    I also locked the website icon database file in my computer, a tip i looked up on the internet

it is running fine now and much more smoother than before.

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

16. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

this^

17. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I do use firefox, but I never thought about using it as my main browser

seems slow a bit , don't you think?

18. calb macrumors 6502

You need to decide which one makes you cry the least. Whichever that is, use it.

19. Goride macrumors newbie

I am using the latest version of Safari on my new MBP (2.4ghz 15" w/highres antiglare).

I really like many of the features of safari but it is slow and laggy. Especially when browsing forums. Scrolling in threads that have .gifs or something in it will make the scrolling choppy. It isn't THAT bad, but it is annoying. I downloaded Firefox and that browser seems to handle the scrolling and .gifs just fine.

I found Camino while searching for alternative browsers. It seems to be made by Mozilla (so is Firefox). I'm not entirely certain of it's purpose, but it seems to be an OSX only browser. I might check that out.

I guess the point of my post was to say that I am using safari on a brand new machine, that hasn't been filled up with data yet, (negating the reset safari suggestion) and safari is still laggy for me. However, when searching information on browsers, most sites say that safari is the fastest OSX browser.

20. Goride macrumors newbie

Just a quick update:

I tested out scrolling through forums with gifs in Safari, Chrome, Camino, and Firefox.

Safari and Chrome both choke on scrolling through the gifs (it becomes choppy).

Firefox and Camino both work fine. By default Camino does not support smooth scrolling, however, there is a nightly build for it and that fixes that problem.

The choppy scrolling bothers me too much. I think I am going to switch to Camino since it seems to integrate in OSX a bit better than Firefox.

21. RockTheGlobe macrumors member

I was having horrible problems with Safari... it was giving me spinning beach balls, running extremely slowly and eating up a ton of memory. Turns out it was the AdBlock extension -- once I uninstalled it, everything was running a lot more smoothly.

22. latech macrumors newbie

I downloaded Camino last night and I have to say that it's one fast web browser

23. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I had camino for a very long time, but its too similar to Firefox I thought there was no reason to keep it. There is even a Camino theme that will make firefox look as if it was camino

After uninstalling adblock extension, safari is running smoother but still might have issues here and there.

Considering switching to firefox full time

24. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

OK,

I have been using Firefox for few days now, and guess what.
    Safari IS a bloated software!
    or so I think

NO beach balls , no slowness, no hiccups. Not to mention I got 4 add-ons installed.

The only downside to Firefox is that it runs hotter and fans go on crazy fast running flash :( .

Also I do miss Safari reader, great feature. I installed Firefox reader but its not as good