Any opinions on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by flyinhigh, Oct 18, 2014.

1. flyinhigh macrumors member

Hi. I'm running on Mavericks on an 09-10 Imac. I'm looking to resetup my home studio to configure with my setup. I was a Protools user. Would buy the AVID Mbox3 but is has reported issues with my setup. (Workaround is to run on on 10.8. I don't want a dual boot setup). And I can't afford to keep up withe their upgrade costs. I'm attracted to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I'm looking for a stand alone interface compatible with most DAW. Happy to use Garagaband for a while and trial a few other software programs. I'm a guitar playing singer-songwriter and I produce works of spoken word for radio. Any opinions on the Scarlett or others in that category? Thanks. Tim.

2. codymac, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

codymac macrumors 6502

I use one daily with 10.9.5 & Core Audio to DI guitar and monitor with phones.

Before purchasing, I saw where some people reported gain issues with guitar but I haven't experienced this.

• The 2i4 has a dedicated knob or switch for everything on the front. Not all models in the Scarlett range do - some require the Focusrite software to enable pad, etc.
    • USB powered.

Dislikes:
    • Dual headphone outs would be nice.
    • Only USB powered.

I don't sing or use ProTools but can happily report that I've tracked with it in Logic without issue and used it in Mainstage.

I got it primarily so I wouldn't give my neighbors free concerts when I practice/play. I've been using it with Guitar Rig, Amplitube, and some stompboxes.

Anything specific you want to know just ask. Based on my experience with it so far, I'd recommend it.