Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregJClough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I have a mid-2010 mac mini with 2 gb ram (not enough, but the Bethesda Apple store couldn't help me when I asked for more) and a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I bought it around April 2011 with Snow Leopard pre-installed and it was fine - complemented my-2009 MacBook Pro nicely.

Since releasing the Snow Leopard out and bringing in the Lion, my mini has turned *****. It crashes out whenever it feels like it. And in a way I've not seen with other Macs and other species of OS X. The first time it happened with Lion, I was reminded of the curtain falling at the local dram center. Except there it usually elicits a sigh of relief. On your mac mini, it elicits a cry of frustration. This unannounced curtain-call sees a grey, opaque film scrolling down the screen blaring out in big white text of various different languages that your mac, like Monty Python's parrot, "is a stiff, bereft of life, fallen from its perch, rolled off its mortal coil and joined the choir invisible". Actually, being told the bleeding obvious was nice the first time: knowing the show was over saved me waiting for the fat lady.

Like the white flag of surrender, the text begs your forgiveness and then asks for your patience ("Yes! Of course!"), requesting you wait for the machine to re-start and the matinee resume. If, however, the Mac still hasn't got the show on the road after 20 seconds, then you get to play the role of organ grinder, by holding down the power button until it chirps back into life.

This comedy of terrors began immediately after I installed Lion in mid August. After a week, the guys at Apple kept it for two or three days and, while acknowledging the curtain had come down on them too, no obvious technical or wardrobe malfunction existed. So, "we've put down your Lion and put in our understudy. That may do the trick, but let's see what happens in Act III."

As fate would have it, Act III wouldn't unfold for some time, as this all happened only days before my two year contract in the US expired. I am now in Indonesia where finding an Apple store is the second most challenging aspect of living in an otherwise wonderful country. The most challenging? Finding an Apple store with Apple staff who know Apple technology. They're wonderfully helpful, but just not wonderfully informed about their product.

Suffice to say, the problem still happens almost once every hour. I am curious if other 2010 mac mini users have also been mauled by the Lion? And what can I do before my warranty expires, now I am half way around the world Rockville's Micro-center, where I bought it?

mcb001982

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Manhattan NY
I'm running on a 2.66ghz C2D with no issues, granted I upped my 4gb to 8gb (which made a difference) but you should be able to still run things with out an issue. Pick up some ram, it is not hard at all to upgrade it yourself on a unibody mini and you can get 8gb for about $55 shipped at crucial.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Are you saying you're not capable of opening the cover on the bottom and adding RAM?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I have a mid-2010 mac mini with 2 gb ram (not enough, but the Bethesda Apple store couldn't help me when I asked for more)

Lots of youtube video's on how to upgrade ram. Around 40 bucks now for 8 gb ...

Why are you putting yourself thru this for so long?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I really have no idea what is wrong based on your description.

If you have full backups of all your data, you might try a clean install, I know that can be daunting though and you have to have EVERYTHING backed up.

You can try adding RAM. 2GB isn't much ,but it shouldn't make it "crash."

Lion didn't hurt my computers (including 2009 Mac Mini that only had 2GB of RAM until last week).

Good luck!

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
It sounds like you're describing a kernel panic, but honestly, I don't know--I'm having trouble seeing through the over dramatization.

I've had a few kernel panics with my mini since Lion, every one has been the result of incompatible hardware plugged into the machine via USB.

Try disconnecting things and see if it stops. Then when you see which peripheral is the culprit try just changing its USB before scrapping it altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.