Any other app that uses Apple's IOS6 maps?

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
I maybe the only one actually enjoying Apple's.

For me, at least, I see many areas of my interest actually much better represented at Apple's that at Google's Maps, specially much younger Satellite imagery.

I woul like to find an app that uses Apple's map where I can draw/calculate areas, distances, add my own pois, etc... Somthing similar to Googles KLM files.

Is there any of the sort already?

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I maybe the only one actually enjoying Apple's.

For me, at least, I see many areas of my interest actually much better represented at Apple's that at Google's Maps, specially much younger Satellite imagery.

I woul like to find an app that uses Apple's map where I can draw/calculate areas, distances, add my own pois, etc... Somthing similar to Googles KLM files.

Is there any of the sort already?
I think the Weather Channel App is using the Apple maps instead of Google now. It looks that way, at least.

Edslunch

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Many, maybe most, apps that use maps now use iOS maps. I assume the mapping API just redirects them there. So you can see transit, Yelp, etc. each on their own instance of Apple maps. Too bad they can't be merged together so I could see the traffic 'layer' from my favorite traffic app on the main map.

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Many, maybe most, apps that use maps now use iOS maps. I assume the mapping API just redirects them there. So you can see transit, Yelp, etc. each on their own instance of Apple maps. Too bad they can't be merged together so I could see the traffic 'layer' from my favorite traffic app on the main map.
Thanks! You're right!

Most have actually changed to Apple's already.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Any app which uses the iOS MapKit framework will automatically use Apple's maps in iOS 6 - it's not something Devs have any control over. Even Google latitude uses Apple's maps on iOS 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.