Any other BlackBook owners thinking about selling?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Val-kyrie, Apr 16, 2012.

  1. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    #1
    I currently own a 4,1 Black MacBook (2.4GHz), with 4GB RAM and a Hitachi 7200RPM 750GB HDD. At the moment, I have limited funds to upgrade to a new machine, but I also see the end of the BlackBook with the onset of OS X 10.8 when support will be (virtually) terminated, except for security updates for 10.7. While I would prefer to wait until the next update or even Haswell, the problem for me is that the BlackBook cannot accept enough RAM to properly run OS X 10.7 and my VMs in Fusion 4, so upgrading my machine has ended with 10.6.8. Consequently, I am considering selling my BlackBook before its value drops further, and purchasing a used machine from CraigsList (mid-2010 or early-2011 model, depending on price).

    Questions: Are any other BlackBook owners considering selling or did you already sell?
     
  2. malman89 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #2
    Not even BlackBook - white 2,1 Macbook here. I'm going to upgrade this year - it's just a matter of deciding to simply buy another machine or dump the MacBook for a few hundred bucks and then use that for the new purchase.

    Although gaming is hardly something I do often (just a few casual games, LoL) there are just too many getting on the list of stuff I can't run (SC2, Portal 2, upcoming Diablo 3, upcoming TSW, upcoming GW2, upcoming engine update to a game I do still play - obviously not all of those at once) that I'm done with it. It also is getting some weird video distortion (occasionally and randomly) that peeves me.
     
  3. dcains macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    #3
    My Blackbook has virtually the same specs as yours, except for a 500GB drive, and it runs Lion, VMware 4, and Win7 32-bit with no troubles. Has it been confirmed that 10.8 won't run on a mid-2008 Mac?
     
  4. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

    PeckhamBog

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #4
    The problem is the X3100 integrated graphics ARE NOT supported in 10.8

    I have two 2.2 MBs late 2007 that will need replacing. One is starting to disintegrate through abuse by my irresponsible children. I might keep the other on 10.7 for the younger monsters to use, to keep them away from the replacements.
     
  5. monkeybongo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    That's a shame that it won't be supported but at the same time, do you really need to upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out? I'm still not sure if the Lion upgrade was worth it over Snow Leopard except for a few small features. I guess it was cheap but still ...
     
  6. Steven in VA macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2009
    #6
    Lion on older MacBooks

    Anyone know how much memory is required for Lion to run well on a late 2007 2.2GHz MacBook? I'm thinking of refurbishing one for a niece going off to college, maybe with an SSD. Is the machine too old for that to be worthwhile? I also have access to a 2007 BlackBook for her, but it's only 2.0GHz. I sold a 2.2 BlackBook around Christmas in 1 day for $425. Any suggestions on refurbishing or selling these (and buying her a new machine, perhaps?) Thanks.
     
  7. Val-kyrie thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    #7
    That is good to know. I had read that Fusion 4 was slow for some users on 10.7 with 4GB RAM, even on a MBP. Guess I may have to try Lion and see if it is usable for me. Still, I am considering selling before it becomes official that the polycarb MacBooks do not support Mountain Lion.
     
  8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

    Anonymous Freak

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2002
    Location:
    Cascadia
    #8
    Well, I have the very first generation of MacBook in black - 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive, GMA 950 graphics. Still running Snow Leopard, starting to show its age. I've thought about selling it, but my daughter still uses it, so I'll probably keep it until we get her a replacement. (It replaced her iMac G4 when I got a Core 2 Duo iMac to act as my main machine.)
     

Share This Page