Any other disappointed Canadians?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Awjvail, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Awjvail macrumors 6502

I'm perfectly fine with the new Macbook refresh - however, the one thing I'm stuck on is the price.

A refresh would have been the perfect time to slash the price... the extra $50 difference between the American price and Canadian price is bogus. CAD is at parity with USD, so the $50 is just extra padding in the pockets of Apple.

They should be the same price. $1799 instead of $1849.

If it weren't for my Employee Purchase Program discount, I'd be going down to the USA to purchase.

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

How far would you go across the border for $50 though?

Now I totally agree with you; being at par (or even better), the prices should be equal. But I wonder if maybe Apple has to pay more duty to bring them into the country than they do in the U.S.?

3. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

I doubt that. We still have to pay HST and all that crap so the government gets their money anyway.

I live an hour from the border with Maine... but I don't have a passport, so that is an additional $100 cost to get one so that I can get across the border.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

That differs by province, I believe.

5. Lloydehhh macrumors member

Go drown your sorrows in some maple syrup, syrup makes everything better.
    Down a few hundred bottles, wait for the sugar high, then wonder how long you'll live.

6. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I order mine through CANEX, so it's pretty cheap for me and they're interest free. Really the price difference isn't enough for me to care too much.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

They charge ludacris amounts of money for the hardware that they give you. Are you surprised that they gouge non-US customers as well? Anything for some more money in the pocket.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Lol the Aussie dollar is higher than the USD but the base MBP is AUD2099.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

an hour from the border? ... gonna cost you that in Gasoline ... and if your time is worth nothing ... you should break even.

10. Affirmed macrumors member

I'd gladly pay the extra money for some of that Canadian Healthcare. Is AppleCare free up there too?

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The HealthCare is not free ... if you work, you gotta pay for it ... even if you never use it.

The AppleCare is peanuts compared to the price you have to pay for healthcare.

12. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Depends on your career ;) I pay nothing for me and my family. God I love our country :cool: