Any Other Educators Out There?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WoodrowCall, Mar 4, 2011.

1. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I'm very excited about getting my iPad 2 next week, and I'm just wondering are there are any other educators (I teach high school English) who are looking at getting the iPad 2 for, at least partly, educational purposes? I have a flat screen in my classroom and am really looking forward to hooking it up, also carrying it around as a gradebook is going to be wonderful. Anyone else out there an educator who's also excited? :D

2. Shimmanen macrumors newbie

I have an original iPad and haven't decided yet if I'm upgrading. I am also a college professor.

I love the iPad in the classroom. I use it for many professional-related activities, including lecture preparation, lecture notes, grading, record keeping, tutoring. I even did an entire textbook review on it last year shortly after I got it. My hope is that the educational uses for the device continue to expand and more textbook companies adopt it. I would dearly love it if my big fat heavy neuroscience textbook could be on the iPad, for example. :)

3. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Yeah, my British literature textbook is giant, and literally every work in it can be found in online databases. I've also seen some really interesting apps for literature, like narrated/animated Shakspeare plays. I was looking forward to it even before I saw the HDMI Mirror capability, which is going to be great for modeling paper edits, etc.

4. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Without looking it up, which of these is correct?

How much farther?

How much further?

And tell me why.

5. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I've got great mileage out of Goodreader annotating PDFs for research towards my doctorate; I use it to read policy documents and educational research on the way home from work (as well as checking Facebook and MacRumors as wind-down :)); in class I've used it to enable students to look up close at facsimile documents from the British Library (I teach English Language/Linguistics); and I even whipped it out for a student to use when he was complaining he couldn't make notes in the lesson, he'd broken his writing hand...

I just wish there was the budget for a class set!

6. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I wish there was a cheap classroom set available, as well. I am lucky enough to have access to a class set of Macbooks, which are great. They can be a distraction at times, but some things are so much easier, and there is the chance for authentic learning as far as content-creation goes.

7. biosci macrumors 6502a

HS Biology teacher here. Love the iPad and will most likely be getting the iPad 2, giving the iPad 1 to wife (HS English teacher) or Mom. Between this and my Macbook air, I don't even touch the school issued stuff that's simply unreliable.

8. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I teach first grade, and the best use for it so far has been using splashtop remote to control my macbook, which is hooked up to my Smartboard. It means I can roam the classroom instead of being stuck behind the computer when using presentations, etc.

9. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Primary teacher here, well teacher in training ;) I'm looking forwards to being able to share some of the great educational apps with my students, especially the solar system apps, sure you can watch a DVD on the subject but this gives so much more control! My iPad has also been an invaluable tool for university allowing me to carry around slideshows and pdf's relevant to my course.