Any other "former" musicians here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Nov 2, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Just wondering if there are any other people on here who are "former" musicians. I used qoutes because while I think you can stop playing, I dont think you stop from ever being a musician.

Ive played bass (my primary instrument, I also play six string guitar and some piano) since my mid teens, studied music in college, and studied both upright and electric bass privately. Ive played everything from rock to jazz, but have mostly spent my time playing in jam bands. Im not the best on my instrument, but based on the caliber of people that have chosen to play with me, I know I play well. Ive also been fortunate to play medium sized halls, festivals, and clubs...

Im 43, and the past few years have been a struggle in terms of finding musicians and keeping bands together. every six months to a year Ive had to start over because people either flake out, or have too many other commitments to other musical projects. Its basically gotten to the point where the little voice inside of my head tells me that when you factor in all the vehicle wear and tear, gas, travel time, etc. that is required for being in a band that it is really not worth it the time, money and hassle.

Anyone else?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I used to play a lot with bands when I was younger but lately I nor my bandmates have had much time for music due to studying. I still play nearly everyday but it's more or less hobby-based since we don't have much time to play together.

Over the past few years, I've done several session drummings (substituted someone) but it's been awhile since I played together with my own band. I hope we can get it to run again as when it was running, it was great and very fun. Maybe in few years when we have done our studies and are free again.

FYI, I play drums, mostly metal stuff.

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I played sax and clarinet in jazz, dixieland, and ska bands through high school, then played jazz through college, and now I just play on my own. I'd love to play in a band again, but not too sure how I'd go about that. Anyway, now I've started picking up other instruments to entertain myself (guitar, bass, mandolin), and I spend most of my time playing guitar and singing, but pick up my old instruments from time to time.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Back in my college days, I played keyboards and was the main musical arranger/composer for a synthpop band. We had one or two live performances, but were otherwise more of a hobby than anything else.

The singer/lyricist and I still do music, under another band name. Although we have a MySpace page and have a song or two on some independent electronic music compilations, we've realized that, as we live a four-hour drive apart and we each have our own families, touring (and the rehearsals that entails to ensure a good live show) is pretty much out of the question. So we're a studio project now, more or less.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to play keyboard and rhythm guitar with a few guys from school. I went to a different college to them so we drifted apart. Couple of years later they were signed to a record label, playing at Glastonbury, touring with Oasis in Japan... the lucky sods!

I really don't play much any more. I occasionally compose tracks for my games (my style is much more ambient now), and sometimes I pass on those compositions to a musician I sometimes hire and he overlays the funk, tightens up the overall sound. Can't really play instruments live any more but I can still carve out a nice sound with Logic and my keyboards.

6. mzd macrumors 6502a

i agree that the starting over part is frustrating. i've been in a mish-mash of six bands in as many years. bands splitting and branching off with new members added and dropped, sitting in with friends, etc. i really devoted myself primarily to one group in 08-10, recorded an EP and everything, but the singer moved out of town in August so i feel like i'm back at square one (again). it is hard to stay motivated and get excited about basically starting completely over again to reform something with the guitar player. i have a side project going that is fun and keeps me playing, but it isn't really serious.
    i'm a drummer btw.

7. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Yeah dude, when I think about all the time, effort and money it takes to start over, and the hours it takes learning new tunes on your own and with others I just get second thoughts about even making the attempt.

Its kind of shame really, because playing music IS fun. I think the problem is that all the flakes, burnouts, and people with their own agendas really just pretty much ruin it.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've gone the opposite direction.

I only starting learning the keyboards and joined my first band about 12 months ago. I've left it a bit late though because I'm 46 years old. :D

It's been fun so far, we've played loads of pub gigs and the highlight was appearing at a festival in the summer. :)

9. Messy macrumors 6502

Depends on how you define musician.

Started my youth in a Marching Band (lol yes...), left when I was about 12. A few years passed, I learnt how to play the Drum Kit and read music, when I got to about 16 I decided I wanted to be a DJ so bought all the kit for that, Ive DJ'd across the Country, in various venues alongside world wide famous artists. I still do it to this day, recently owning a Radio Station which broadcasts a 50 mile radius, oh and I bought a Acoustic Guitar a little while back, which im still admitidly getting the hang of.

Im very influenced by music, its part of who I am.

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I was a professional orchestra musician for about 12 years. I played six years in the Radio Orchestra here, and did a lot of subbing/touring with the Opera and the Philharmonic, as well as a little bit of studio work. Lots of variety - everything from your regular classical concerts to having glam performers like Shirley Bassey, Pavorotti, Jessye Norman etc as soloists with the groups I was in, to playing in a small back-up band for Harry Connick Jr. at the Nobel concert in Oslo in 1997. The glam stuff wasn't nearly as often as the regular stuff, but it was part of the whole and interesting to be a part of when it happened.

It was a lot of fun and hard work, but it finally got too frustrating being a freelancer. I looked around and saw that the other wind players who were just a little older than I was had more or less dropped out of the freelance scene, either to do something else, or because they were not getting work anymore due to new talent being used in their places. I wanted a predictable income so I could get a loan for a house etc, be at home evenings with my small son, and just basically have a life like my friends in "regular" jobs were establishing. So now I head a music department at a public library and I like it a lot. I'm still working with getting music out to the public, and actually I have a lot more direct contact with the music-loving public than I did on stage. I don't have that feeling that I'm being judged on a regular basis, that the people around me are deciding if they want to ask me back next week/season/tour. :p

I also agree what someone said earlier in the thread, that you can't take the musician out of the person. A couple years I started playing a Chinese folk instrument out of pure interest, and I love it.

11. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

ah yes the band thing can be rough because you have to rely on other folks. I would suggest learning a few solos that you can play on your own. It's great for your technique and it keeps you playing during down times finding bandmates.

You could learn a solo tango for guitar and perhaps arrange it for bass. And maybe a Chopin prelude or Joplin rag for solo piano?