Any other guys hate PE?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macipodiphoneap, Feb 23, 2009.

1. macipodiphoneap macrumors newbie

Ok I am a freshman boy in high school and I just cant stand PE. I know its not normal but I cannot take it anymore. I figured the best place to go in the internet to complain is among fellow apple fan boys/girls (I'm not being sexist but this question is for boys). I am not overweight, you could call me a couch potato but I do work out once or twice a week. The only sport I play is Golf. Which the JV coach is also one of the PE teachers. The one who had to talk to me about my PE grade. I will say that my GPA is barely a 3.7 and I can't afford to get even an A- in gym. I barely ever participate (by that I mean I make it appear that I am by walking around in B-ball and sports). I have at minimum a C for the last few classes (I should still get an A for the semester if I participate more). My question, who's with me? Can anybody empathize?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What don't you like about it? Is it the structure or just the workout? Forgetting about your body type, is it no longer fun to get out of sitting on a hard chair in front of a desk all day for 50 minutes? I used to love PE. You couldn't tell now but I did. I loved being outside, I disliked the teacher and the fact that she found my back as a footrest during push ups ... but that's another story.

Is there a way you can be a little more active about this? By that I mean, is there something other than golf that you like to do that you could recommend as an alternative to basketball? Do you like walking/running or anything?

Oh and by the way, golfing burns calories so if you have a driving range at your school like my high school did then perhaps you can hit balls during that time. You'll at least be moving.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

PE was ******* BS. No matter how hard I busted my chubby ass, I could NEVER get an A. Oh no, only the jocks who the PE teachers knew could get A's. I gave up in grade 11 and skipped most classes :p

4. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I dont think your weird for not liking sports... I hate watching/playing almost all of them. The only one that I play is tennis.

My advice would be to just try. I never liked PE in middle school (my high school only makes you take a sport or do PE, and Im in tennis), but I just played along. Some games can be quite fun with a group of your friends. No one cares if you cant play well. Im one of the most clumsiest kids in the class, and no one cared if I failed.

If you cant bring yourself to do it, just fake it. Thats what I did through basketball season. :)

5. Nadav macrumors regular

I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love PE. Other than the nuisance of changing into gym clothes, its is by far the most enjoyable part of my day other than my free, and lunch. If you can choose what sections you do, I advise you to choose Yoga, and Ping Pong, the easy classes. Luckily, I have PE first period this year, so doing "Yoga" was a great way to catch up on my sleep.

I think the reason why you dislike gym is not because you aren't capable of participating, but due to the fact that maybe you don't have friends in your class? PE is a great way to meet new people, and make new friends. It's better than sitting in math class taking notes for 50 minutes.

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Just suck it up man. It's not intensive, it's just to get you active for a while during your school day. I wasn't the skinniest in high school, but you'd rather not be there walking with everyone talking about how you are showing no effort. Just saying, give it a chance, seems like you have an in with one of the teachers, so show him that you aren't just giving up and he'll realize it.

7. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I can't really empathize with you. I always was the athletic kid in the class with the least athletic kids in the school. Empathy won't help you anyways in this situation.

Just make it look like you try. Get your hands out of your pockets and run around. Even if you cheer on your team members that shows a lot. In any team sport you play coaches expect to see communication, gym teachers will think you are interested, and that's all you need. It doesn't matter if you're good or bad at what you're playing just do it.. No one really cares if you're good or bad. Even if you do really suck and embarrass yourself and someone cracks a joke they really don't care.

Also remember a 3.7/4.0 is a very good GPA and gym will have a very minute affect on it in the long run. Another thing you could do is talk to your guidance counselor to see if your school does independent study for gym. If they do it basically you'll have to prove that you do physical activity, show records, and set goals, and reflect on your achievements. That way you can avoid gym entirely.

8. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Regular PE was the most fun I had in middle school. Now, I am also a freshman and have to do weight lifting every day. It is awful compared to about any other way to get exercise. Nor is it easy.

9. bbbensen macrumors 6502

You have Ping Pong as a PE class!? :eek:

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I liked it as it was a way to get away from just sitting around. This was before computers and it was a good lifelong habit to get into. By the time computers took over, most of us were not too obese. The following generations, which had the benefit of the internet and computer games, are significantly fatter than we were. Back in the 60s and 70s we had junk food, soda, and all the trappings but leisure activity usually related to being outdoors or in a gym, but it's not so with today's youth. I wouldn't even be against having physical education class last for 90 minutes.

I wish there was an hour one could do at work w/o having to sacrifice lunch. No wonder why Americans are among the most unfit. And as fat as the baby boomer office potatoes are today, wait until today's kids join the workforce as they will have to resize entry ways and elevators. :)

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm by no means a jock, but I love physical activity, i loved gym.

12. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I disliked regular PE classes but REALLY enjoyed my Aquatics class that I took for two years. A bunch of swimming and being trained to be a lifeguard.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:confused:

Why would you need to swim when you can just walk across the water to save people?

;)

14. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm not overweight and I always do well in classes, but I can't stand PE. I'm taking a body conditioning class right now which is running and weight lifting and it's terrible, not only the class but the downright nasty people in it. :mad: Seriously, I only know 2 people in the entire class. I never have a problem getting an A but it's such a terrible class to take. Last semester I took normal PE which also included studying from a text book one day a week and I really didn't mind doing the work as the teacher was really nice. This semester my teacher is a total creepo and the people in my class are scary. :eek:

Next year I'm taking PE at the local college which involves me getting all access membership to their facilities and having to sign in. That's about it.... :D

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! :)

15. Nadav macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (nadav's iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

We have many options for PE, but the seniors usually get the best classes. We have yoga, ping pong, basketball, volleyball, badmitton, frisbee golf, personal fitness, flag football, indoor/soccer, and walking course. Our school believes that by having fun gym classes, kids are less likely to cut, and will in the long run be healthier.

16. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

hahahahaa
    dude i was kinda a jock in high school, and after i hurt my knee i had to take p.e. the track coach was our teacher and it was hilarious. i did every single work out plus more because i was kinda use to it and i still got a c.

i had the most chin ups, sit ups and fastest mile (even though my knee was and is fed) and i still got a bad grade.

17. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

I totally agree with you.

I'm a person who's really concerned with how much everyone likes him, so it feels so counter-intuitive for me to just go up to someone and start "blocking" them, or, even worse, "steal" the ball.

Sports just make me feel so uncomfortable.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

youre kidding right? if not, then seriously dont even think about that kind of stuff (guys simply dont care...or shouldnt)

most guys are competetive and dont let friendsships get hurt if you play defense in bball.....lol

nature of sports

19. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

I realize that no one is going to actually be offended; it's just an insecurity on my part.

20. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'm always glad when other guys aren't obsessed with the whole tough guy jock sport lover image. I have never liked sports even though people always tell me I'd be good it's just not my thing. I played soccer for a while and then got sick of it and quit. Now the only sports I do are tennis and swimming. :)

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can understand that but most guys in sports figure that is part of the game but that being said I do not play many team sports any more. I got into the sport of mountain biking which is very solo type of sport. No team to let down or some one to mess up. I just push myself on the trails.

22. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I did not have to do PE in high school. The Golf team had some work around set up so that we could practice all year and have it count as PE, it was pretty sweet. However, I did enjoy PE in Middle School, it was a good time. I am naturally athletic and enjoy the running, basketball, football, etc that PE provided.

Just get in there a give your best. If you make it look like you're trying your grade will surely go up.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Heres something we can agree on!:eek:

Theres something just magical about being alone in the wilderness taking it all in while pushing yourself. Plus its fun as hell:D

24. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

As I stated in my above post, I realize that very few males would take umbrage to me trying to block them or steal the ball; it's just that it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Really, the whole idea of competition upsets me. To me, it just feels like such direct opposition to another person fulfilling their will. You can't win, without it being at the detriment of the other team - conspiring to cause the other team to lose points, trying to find ways to defuse their strategy, etc. It just all feels so subversive to me. At the same, however, I don't want to cause all of the people on my team to become angry with me by not trying to defeat the other team, or having them become disappointed by not winning.

So, understandably, most games are a cause of anxiety to me. Even the review games at school make me feel a little uncomfortable. And, when extra credit points are on the line, I just don't even play. :p

25. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

True. That made playing water polo much easier.