Any other horse people here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by abijnk, Mar 14, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am an avid horse lover and have been my entire life. I began riding when I was 5 and am formally trained in english (show jumping was my forte "back in the day"). My family never had enough money to own horses or to allow me to pursue my passion with any consistency, but I took lessons whenever I could, and will ride any horse any style any time. I was told I had some talent as a rider, and feel most at home on a horse, whether it be bareback, wester, english, or any other saddle style you can come up with :).

Its always been a dream of mine to have horses, so I spend a lot of free time watching horse shows, reading about horses, and learning all that I can before my time comes to have the privilege of caring for a horse. I also get to help with the care of my fiancé's step-mom's ponies.

In 2005 I got to go to the Devon horse show, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I like rodeos, show jumping, 3 day eventing, racing (quarters and thoroughbreds), pleasure shows, and on and on and on. :eek:

Anyone else here share my passion for all things equine?? :D

2. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

I like to use the horseman aka KOTG in warcraft 3.

3. macdoobie macrumors member

4. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Lol, when my fiance got Oblivion, I waited until he got a horse and then spent some (ok, a lot) time exploring the world on horseback. :eek:

Awesome, what breed? And what do you do with them?

5. macdoobie macrumors member

All pretty palominos (a 'real' breed Im not sure, maybe color) :) I've been learning to ride for the last two ish years now and still (defintly!) a beginner :p

6. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Palomino is more a type than a breed, or a "color breed" so-to-speak.

I totally understand about riding. I've been riding for almost 16 years now, and although I am steady in the saddle and confident, there are still situations that I get into where I know I just need more experience.

7. macdoobie macrumors member

horses are spendy huh?? maybe if I didnt love them so much Id have a macbook air!!:D:D

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Yeah, I'm 1/4th horse. Got it from my mom's side.

9. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hm, I don't know if I should be offended or laugh at you... :p

Anyone who knows anything about horses is (or should be) well aware that the initial cost of purchasing a horse is pocket change compared to upkeep. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be on macrumors right now as I wouldn't own a computer. :D I wish they were cheaper :(

10. macdoobie macrumors member

Oh i know =/ two of my pretties i have to board ($550/mon...) its killing me atm but i just love it anyway. plus Im getting the opportunity to cut that price in 1/2 if i shovel stalls 15hrs a week :D

11. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, its wicked expensive... A friend of mine has 5 horses and they have a lot of farm property, the said if I ever was able to get a horse I could board it at their place for very little money, but its never panned out. I might be able to save up enough to foot the initial costs within a year (hello macbook air! ;)), but I am afraid if I did I wouldn't be able to keep up with possible vet bills and whatnot. But hey, I am graduating college so maybe one day!!!

I owned my own horse for about 8 months and I guess it just wasn't in the stars for me or something, because nothing went right. It only took me 3 months to break my arm (LONG story and some very very ignorant neighbors :() and while I was recovering the horse contracted West Nile Virus (don't worry, he lived). It wouldn't surprise me if when I can finally afford to have a horse or two the SPCA and/or PETA comes to my place to protest. :eek:

12. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Every saturday morning I head out to go ride horses (though not this saturday, there's a show). I can't quite afford any of my own right now, but I figure with those world equestrian games coming here (ie, to my city) in 2010, I figure it's all good.

13. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

*seethes with jealousy*

14. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Beautiful animals.
    We have four great danes and we constantly get asked, "do you have a saddle for them? Do you walk them or ride them?" Does this mean I own horses too?
    Again, horses are beautiful animals.

15. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Lol, we had an English Mastiff when I was 8 or 9 and I could literally ride him around, so I guess you would be in the same situation! :p

16. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Not me but my sister is and we have four (two hers, two of a friend) horses. Some day I plan to learn to ride.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Grew up with horses. Arabian and Quarter. Rode bareback, Western and English styles over the years.

Nothing like taking a trail on a horse. A nice way to see nature. :)

Unfortunately, it's been quite a few years since I've ridden.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I love riding horses, which I do - though not often enough - in Richmond Park, but I prefer working on horseback, which I had the opportunity to do for several months in my "gap year" when I was a "jackeroo" in Australia, herding sheep and cattle on a 2,000 acre station in NSW.

19. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I have a retired black Standardbred mare, a 10hh sorrel Shetland Pony that the kids ride, and a grey Arab/draft gelding. The first 2 are at home and I'm boarding the gelding for the winter so I can keep him and myself in shape. He's only 7 and learning to be balanced and we are just starting over fences. Both me and my 6 yr old son take lessons and he's started driving mini's (that's a black stallion in the picture) as well.

Attached Files:

20. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

That's cool. The ponies I care for are a mother and foal pair. Once the foal is weaned I want to start some ground driving exercises (provided the owner lets me :)). I got to drive a friends pony in a parade once, that was really a lot of fun.

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm only hung like one.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm a rat person, so I'm told I'm not supposed to get along with horse people. Or something.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

25. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Leave it to the demi's... :rolleyes: ;) :D