Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hi there folks. I just purchased a 32 gig IPad and it is amazing....but I have one observation. I don't think all of the app designers really thought it through enough when it comes to handedness on this device. I am left handed and I noticed that in some apps, buttons are placed strategically to the right of the screen so that when I go to tap these things, my arm obscures the screen, making some things a bit awkward. I hope that the designers can adjust for this as time goes on perhaps making right or left handed settings, since in a touch screen of this size, it might be more of a factor.

Anyone else notice this?

jburns

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
NC-USA
Hi there folks. I just purchased a 32 gig IPad and it is amazing....but I have one observation. I don't think all of the app designers really thought it through enough when it comes to handedness on this device. I am left handed and I noticed that in some apps, buttons are placed strategically to the right of the screen so that when I go to tap these things, my arm obscures the screen, making some things a bit awkward. I hope that the designers can adjust for this as time goes on perhaps making right or left handed settings, since in a touch screen of this size, it might be more of a factor.

Anyone else notice this?

I am a left handed musician and I think you have to treat it like a musical instrument and learn the proper technique to play it regardless of your left handedness. It really doesn't take long for it to become natural feeling to use your right hand.

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Lefty

I a lefty and haven't gotten my 3G yet. I'm glad you posted I never considered the whole left right issue. I'm going to make a Microsoft statement so don't hate CE devices had a left or right had option so come on Apple, CE and Microsoft still suck however. Call Apple and ask them how to set it up for a left handed person they probably can't help but it will get the information into the system for review and a possible change. As Gorkt says we might just have to learn to use our right hand like we did when we use a friends Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.