Any other MB owners feeling really SMUG at the moment!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BIK, Jan 15, 2008.

1. BIK macrumors member

BIK

I know I am, even moreso than the general smugness that comes with being an apple enthusiast. I got my Black Macbook (Black makes it twice as smug as the usual white macbook) for Christmas, and I love it. Glad I didnt wait until Macworld, the MB Air for the price I feel isnt justified based on my needs.

So I ask the MB owners out there, are you guys feeling smug as well?

2. TooFastForLove macrumors member

TooFastForLove

I don't know that 'smug' is really the correct way to describe it..

...'relieved' maybe? Either way, I really want to fully complete the switch by purchasing either a Macbook or Macbook Pro, and I can't take much more of this waiting. I'm far too impulsive!

3. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

I know everyone here will tell you the same, but do it asap.

I remember the day I got my first mac, that was the day i left behind so much frustration.

The broken drivers, the spyware, the viruses, the incompatibilities, the errors with printers, the slowdowns, the blue screens of death, all gone.

Now when i upgrade every 2 years, another family member gets my previous set up and joins the cult of :apple:

4. TooFastForLove macrumors member

TooFastForLove

Oh I've already purchased a white iMac back in Late July (coincidentally, 3 days before the new ones arrived in August). I love it. I'd just really like to ditch my HP lappy I use for school and switch to - most likely - a Macbook.

5. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

yea my sis was psyched to get the ibook g4 to replace her HP laptop.

Now I understand HP's laptop ads, if you had one you wouldnt want anyone to see your face either.

6. em500 macrumors regular

I know what you mean. I do believe the MB is a more attractive package overall than the MBA. Let's see, with the MBA you get
    + lighter
    + thinner
    + multitouch trackpad
    + LED display
    OTOH, with the MB you get
    + same size apart from thickness
    + much cheaper
    + faster CPU
    + bigger and faster HD (unless you get the SSD which costs $999 and is still smaller)
    + optical drive
    + remote control
    + 2 x USB, Firewire, gigabit Ethernet, analog+digital audio-in and out
    + upgradable Ram
    + replacable battery
    Sure, the weight and thinness are droolworthy, but they had to sacrifice so much that I don't really think it was worth it.

7. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Smug doesnt describe the way i'm feeling. I'm a little disheartened because i wont have the Air.

8. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

i have a rev-c c2d 2.16GHz mbp and hell, I'm relieved. I though the mba might outperform my comp. Hahaha, what a laugh.:D

9. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

The MBA looks very very nice, and has cool features. If I had money, I'd buy it.

But my MB has what I need, I need a laptop that I can do some heavy school work on and a lot of memory w/o killing my wallet. I was kinda bummed I didn't wait till Macworld (but I got such a good deal Black Friday that couldn't wait) and at first I was sorta bummed but now I feel better. I love my MB. :cool:

10. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

i think the MB owner now should feel happy man

ok, the MBA is at a much cooler design with the lightness and the thickness

but i mean, look at the specs man, it's the specs of a 2 year old notebook for god sake

1.8 at optional? and 4200rpm hard disk

i would have loved it at 2.0 or 2,2 GHz

11. fewture macrumors regular

i don't think it looks better. I don't the look of it at all.

MB rules over it

12. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I can't deny that I was joyous for the fact that something better then the Macbook wasn't released :D
    I actually see this as a potential for Apple to release better drivers for the X3100 :D

13. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

After seeing the new MBA I can honestly say it makes me happy that I have a Blackbook. ..... only wish I could change the colour of it to alloy or something else.

14. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Smug and spiteful.

In a bit of disgust after following the weak keynote, I headed straight down to the university bookstore and slapped down $1229 (including tax) for a base model 2.2ghz white MacBook. Brought it home, booted it up and placed an order at Other World Computing for 4GB of RAM and the fast new 200GB 7200 rpm Hitachi HD.

I now have a MacBook in hand, no waiting, and the upgrade parts will be here in two days.

My total cost: $1530 including tax and shipping.

MacBook Air best price (developer pricing): $1619 plus tax (about $1732). Wait time: 2-3 weeks.

So I saved $200 for a much faster and in my opinion, more attractive, 13" laptop. I'm pretty pleased.

MacBooks are still smart buys.

15. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

16. one1 macrumors 65816

I am very happy (overall) with my MacBook and I'm very glad and thankful to have it. I have a lot of things, but I have not always been so fortunate. Just because they released something yesterday wouldn't have made my "recent" purchase any less glorious. I bought what I wanted and I feel like I did well.

17. thies macrumors regular

Not smug as the Air is simply not tailored to my needs. I do use wired ethernet with my laptop quite a bit still. I also use firewire accessories. Using DVDs isn't an absolute priority but I use them often enough for not having an integrated drive to be an annoyance. From a design perspective I really dont like the black keyboard. Total lack of user serviceability also sucks. The increased portability is neat, but in the end a generic Macbook offers me more than the Air. I'd have changed my mind if this would have had a dedicated GPU though and the screen appears to be a lot better than the Macbook ones. Sharing the hope that the x3100 drivers see some improvement still. This machine just lacks conveniance.

18. ripkord macrumors 6502

If the Air had better GFX and a decent speed of HDD, then I would feel a lot better, as it is I'm kinda stuck with the option of getting a MacBook Pro if I want to upgrade from my powerbook (and can i just say that macbook pro is the worst name ever - powerbook is much better)

I expected a bit more substance from apple! Seems to be all about the style...

I am still tempted though - will see how it plays out in the store :)

19. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Amen!

"It's so... black!" said Ford Prefect, "You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!"

Zaphod said nothing. He had simply fallen in love.

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

"Your eyes just slide off it..." said Ford in wonder. It was an emotional moment. He bit his lip.

Zaphod moved forward to it, slowly, like a man possessed--or more accurately like a man who wanted to possess.

:cool:

20. BIK thread starter macrumors member

BIK

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Not smug but actually more annoyed at all the whiners and people that CONTINUE to wait like a herd of cattle. Pathetic.

22. bimmerchop macrumors regular

haha, true

23. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

When (or if) we get the ability of MultiTouch gestures I'll be fully smug at my slightly-heavier and oh so more powerful MB ;)

24. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Seriously. I don't understand how people can forego perfectly usable computers in hopes of idealistic machines that don't even exist. Life is passing you by, folks. Get off the sidelines and dance!