Any other MR members like to fish??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fotografica, Aug 1, 2007.

1. fotografica macrumors 68040

Just thought I'd see if there are other members out there that like to fish. I love to fish,mainly saltwater. I go for striped bass,bluefish and LOVE to go for tuna. I even make my own fishing lures/flys..

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I love most fish. I love Salmon, Striper, Fluke, and Swordfish. Tuna is pretty good also. I don't like flounder because it has too many bones.

I went Fluking last week on a charter boat with my dad.

One of these weekends I am going striper or blue fishing with my uncle because he has a new 25ft Grady White.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I like to eat fish...
    I catch fish with my uncle once or twice a year. He's the only family member besides me who likes to fish.

4. fotografica thread starter macrumors 68040

That's a sweet ride!!!....

5. Queso macrumors G4

Only for compliments :D

I used to sea fish back in my youth. Great excuse to get out on the water for a day in the sun. Used to catch dogfish more than anything else. They're like baby sharks :)

Always removed the hook and threw them back though.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I like to fish myself...groupers, bonefish and the likes..Haven't done it much living the in city...no east river fishing for me ewwwww.

Bless

7. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I love to fish, but haven't picked up a rod since my Dad died almost 10 years ago. It was something we used to do together. But next year, I plan on taking it up again, my son will turn 5 a month before opening day.

8. fotografica thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah,we get lots of dogfish,aka sandsharks,here. I always throw them back too.All they do is like to eat the bait,lol..Wouldn't think of ever eating one tho.

Yeah,it's great to be out on the water. I consider it my "therapy" :)

These are some of the lures I made:
    [​IMG]

Of course,they'll catch better with hooks,lol..

9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I try to get out a couple times a month with my boys. We usually end up catching bluegill, but that's because I'm too lazy to row the three of us out to the deep water. :p

10. TheQuestion macrumors regular

I get red fever, silver pox, and salmonella at least several times every summer!

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yea. He used to have a single I/O engine 27ft boat, I forget what kind, it was kinda old though so he sold it. His new boat being 25ft and having dual chevy I/O engines and a bit narrow has decreased deck space which he is a little disappointed about. Oh well...

He's "friends" with these people that dock next to him with a brand spankin new 30ft Arbor Marle (i think is the brand). I've seen it and its a beautiful boat, apparently it was $300,000. The people that own it however, don't know how to fish- as in where to fish and what bait to use. So they invite my uncle to guide them so he gets a pretty good deal there.

I'd like to own a boat someday

Striper and Bluefish fishing are my favorites, nothing like a god ol' fight. I want to go sharking someday too.

12. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah, I used to fish with me dad, haven't been in a while now though. Saltwater, off beaches, rocks, wharves etc. Nothing like surfcasting.

13. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I love trout fishing. Rainbow, browns, and brookies (my favorite). Easy to clean, too!

14. fotografica thread starter macrumors 68040

Albermarle's are real nice boats. Nice Carolina flair to the bow helps cut through rough seas/chop. They really are nice fishing machines.
    Stripers and blues are nice to catch.Bluefish really put up a nice fight. They taste great,esp smoked,provided you clean them immediately...

Nice to see some other members here that enjoy fishing,both fresh and saltwater...

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I like to fish when I get a chance. Actually love to ice fish, even though I hate the snow/cold. :p Anyways, I wanted to mention that I work for a non-profit organization that promotes fishing, hunting, and other outdoor sports in Michigan (notices you were in MI Roger ;)) and we publish a magazine and produce a weekly TV show on PBS (both called Michigan Out of Doors).

Anyone in MI who is into fishing or other outdoor sports should drop me an email/PM and I'll set you up a complimentary subscription to the magazine (I'm running the membership department atm, but I'll be taking over the IT department soon). :)

16. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I try to go fishing (usually fly fishing) once or twice a week.

17. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I love to fish. Salmon is proably some of my favorite fishing, nothing like fighting a 15lbs salmon on a lightweight rod with low test line. I also enjoy float tubing with my fly rod on nice calm lakes and cathing nice rainbow trout. Steelhead on a fly rod are fun aswell. Used to go bass fishing a good bit too, that was good fun provided I didn't get my spinner tangled up in the reeds too much.

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

The previous owner of my car used to fish a lot. He'd drive the car out onto the beach and fish from there. Its really gross though when you are cleaning the car and find a bait bag of squid (no squid in it thankfully) in the back magazine pocket of the front passenger seat.

This thread makes me want to go fishing.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Same here. :D

When we were kids, my Dad used to take us fishing pretty regularly. Not anything near the level that a lot of you guys are talking about. We'd just take rods and reels, and a bucket of worms, down to one of the local public lakes and fish from the bank. Sometimes we'd rent or borrow a johnboat to actually go out on the lake.

Wish I had a kid to do that with.

20. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Makes me want to go fishing too!

One night we drove my old international pickup out onto the sandspit. My Wife, son and I hopped into the back of the pickup and started casting into the surf. An hour or so and a dozen fish later it started raining so we packed up. When we turned around to drive off we realised the sea had come around behind us, filling the inlet and blocking our retreat so we cast out through the cab windows until the tide fell enough to drive out through a couple of miles of knee deep salt water. Ahh, I'll never forget that fishing trip!

21. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

OMG that must have sucked- for you and especially your car.

The most memorable way I caught a fish was in cape cod off a 17ft center console boat, we were trolling for stripers. somehow I managed to catch a fish by hooking the underside of it and ripping it open all the way up to its jawbone where it caught. It didn't swallow the hook. I don't even know how I could have done that but it was pretty funny. Also, in its mouth there was a crab that was still alive.

22. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

It didn't suck at all really, we were pullin em in hand over fist! The old Inter went into rapid disintegration about two years later. It literally fell apart over a period of about six months.

After that I took up commercial sharking, scalloping and cray fishing in Bass Straight and around the Tasmanian coast. More Bliss, and getting paid for it.

After a hard days work on deck you go into the wheelhouse, throw the kettle on for a coffee, hang a handline over the side and pull in a 10 or 20 pounder before the kettle boils.

Too bad I got to old to keep it up!

23. fotografica thread starter macrumors 68040

Great posts in this thread!..I'm going surfcasting tonight.Night time is the right time in the summer heat..

24. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I went once, and was bored 5 mins into (granted i was like 7)

I prefer to buy my fish from the store :D