any outlook experts out there please?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vix2000, Sep 7, 2011.

1. vix2000 macrumors regular

Hi I need some help with outlook 2011 and imap, and wondered if there were any experts around to advise me. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Post your specific question, not vague requests for "help." Setting up an IMAP account is not hard, and you can probably find what you want at www.google.com .

3. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

The reason I didn't post a specific question is because there are a few queries on here regarding outlook that have zero responses so I didn't see the point in going into detail if theres no-one around to reply. My question is regarding organising mail with imap and outlook, not regarding setting up an imap account. Had it been that simple I would hardly have needed an expert would I?

4. Lankyman macrumors 68000

So are you going to post your question or is this a slow burn thread where we will get to the plot days or weeks down the line? :confused:

5. GrendelsBane macrumors newbie

The suspense is killing me...

6. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just add the folders and you are done.
    You can add them to your Account (server sync), or to the Archive (local to the machine you are using).

Why do you use Outlook?

8. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks McGiord for a civil answer.

I use outlook because this is my first mac and I am slowly getting used to using osx lion after having used snow leopard for a short period, and I guess that was enough to be getting on with being probably considerably older than most on here, so I stuck to office as I am familiar with it.

At the same time as changing to mac I also went from pop to imap for the first time. I originally tried to set up my folders similarly to the way they were done with pop but they were not working. I was advised by 1&1 helpline that I had to set the folders up in my 1&1 account settings for imap, not outlook. I have done that, but now all my mail goes into a communal inbox with all my email addresses listed below and some of my gmail accounts messages are appearing 2 or 3 times, so I think I have messed up somewhere. If there is no easy way to get folders to work I was hoping that someone might be able to tell if there is a way to set it up so that each address has its own inbox and appears seperately.

Maybe you can see now why I didn't want to go into detail if my question was going to be sat there unanswered like the other outlook threads I found when I searched. I was not trying to be obstructive or 'clever'.

And, believe me I do search to find answers and, although I often find what I need without having to ask, sometimes I don't, and being the wrong gender and the wrong side of 50, asking is the last resort as patience doesn't seem to be a virtue on this forum.

9. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Well I too am the wrong side of 50 but what has that got to do with the price of bread? Perhaps it is you who are ageist rather than other people if you see what I mean. I too use Outlook as I work a lot from home as well as the office and for me there is no real substitute for Outlook. Setting up is really easy though once you have set your gmail account to IMAP. So easy in fact I let my dog set up the accounts on the Mac :D It's just a case of username password then settings e.g. imap.tools.gmail.com, smtp for next settings use SSL and input the ports for your particular provider e.g. 993 and 587.

When you open Outlook you will have a general Inbox which displays all your messages. However, that expands to show the individual email accounts and just the message for those accounts are shown in those folders. It really is very simple and once you explored the folders you will quickly get used to them.

Don't be afraid to ask in future. We are not all teenagers on here, though some of us still are in our minds if not our bodies. :eek:

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You are welcome.
    Just ignore the posts that don't help you, and remember to have fun while in MacRumors, take the fun side of them.

Continue to ask questions as you need, and it really doesn't hurt to post your direct question on the first post, it actually will help you get better answers quickly and there is no limit in the amount of follow up questions that you can add to the thread.

I do use Outlook at work, and it is very nice for having all the things together in one Application:
    -Email
    -Notes
    -Calendar
    -Tasks
    -Contacts

However in my Mac I do use Mail for the email, and iCal for the calendars, for contacts I use the Address Book.
    Mainly because I also have a MobileMe paid account and it really works nicely for over the air syncing, as well as its integration with all my other Apple stuff: iPhone, iPad, etc
    For to dos or tasks I am using Things (can sync with iPhone), and for passwords and important information I use SplashID safe (also can sync with the iOS devices). Things and SplashID Safe are paid apps, but I find them very good for what I need.

About having multiple copies of the same emails, sometimes that happens, and to fix it you have to check and adjust the set up for each email account as suggested already:
    - In the email server/account -> 1&1, Gmail, etc.
    - In the client -> the client software that you are using to get the email -> Outlook in your computer
    Have them downloading, copying, syncing only what you want them to do, if they are trying to do things different from what you have setup in the server sometimes you have issues like that. Gmail is a little picky with the setup in Apple stuff.

I think the main advantage of the IMAP email is that you can have it configured to sync all the "places" where you access your email to be like the server.
    So if you send an email from your computer it will be available in the server, and then if you access the email form your phone (provided that you have it configured in it), the sent email will be available there also.
    You do have to have the devices online to see everything, if you loose the connection some of the emails will not show up until the sync occurs.

Enjoy your Mac, with it you can do almost anything you want.

11. kgillespie macrumors newbie

email accounts in outlook 2011 for mac

"If I delete the account, does it delete the emails that went with it?" Does anyone have an answer to this question? I would like to delete the account, and keep the emails.
    This came about because I was having a nightmarish experience with my email host provider, powweb.com. I decided to change to hostgator. I have it set up so that I can send and receive emails via hostgator, however, my old powweb account is still on my Outlook. I would like to either, 1) delete the powweb account, but keep all the old sent and received emails, or 2) just disable the powweb account so that it doesn't give me an error message each time it checks for new emails. The first solution would also be a little better so that I don't accidentally try to send from the powweb server.
    Thanks.

12. McGiord, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

There should be a Library with all the email documents, search for it, and you can be 100% sure that you have those emails before deleting anything.

Also this is one way of exporting them:
    http://marcushesse.com/2010/exporti...2010-mac-importing-eml-files-into-apple-mail/

13. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Outlook for Mac 2011 uses a unified Inbox. See these articles to help understand the difference.

New features in Outlook-unified inbox

Basics: Folders On My Computer

Gmail IMAP is it's own special kind of IMAP. Labels in Gmail will create separate messages in email clients. A label in Gmail is a folder in an email client.

See this old article that helps with setup. Other than enabling the Labs feature that is now enabled by default, the instructions should help.

Connect Entourage 2004 to Gmail’s IMAP service

Create Gmail labels and make Entourage folders

GMAIL'S RECOMMENDED IMAP CLIENT SETTINGS

Sending:

Do NOT save sent messages on the server. If your client is sending mail through Gmail's SMTP2 server, your sent messages will be automatically copied to the [Gmail]/Sent Mail folder.

DO save draft messages on the server. If you want your drafts in your mail client to sync correctly with Gmail's web interface, set your client to save drafts to the [Gmail]/Drafts folder.

Deleting:

Do NOT save deleted messages on the server. Messages that are deleted from an IMAP folder (except for those in [Gmail]/Spam or [Gmail]/Trash) only have that label removed and still exist in All Mail. Hence, your client doesn't need to store an extra copy of a deleted message.

Do NOT save deleted messages to your [Gmail]/Trash folder because this will delete a message in all folders.

Do NOT save deleted messages to your [Gmail]/All Mail folder as some clients will try to empty this folder and ultimately fail. This can lead to delayed mail access or excessive battery consumption on a mobile device.

Junk mail and spam:

Do NOT enable your client's junk mail filters. Gmail's spam filters also work in your IMAP client, and we recommend turning off any additional anti-spam or junk mail filters within your client. Your client's filter will attempt to download and classify all of your existing messages, which may slow down your client until the process is complete.

14. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies. I did not intend to be ageist and am sure there are many on here who are not teenagers, just hoped that someone not a teenager might understand that coming to grips with a load of new things at once is sometimes a bit daunting, and not mind what might be seen as dumb questions. I do not have a problem setting up email accounts, both 1&1 and gmail, it was the organising of them that I was asking help for. I have recieved this and been given plenty of links to point me in the right direction, for which I am very grateful. Thanks to all the respondents