Any Parallels 6.0 rumors?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by switcher3365, Sep 4, 2010.

1. switcher3365 macrumors regular

I am trying to determine what software I need to upgrade on my Mac. I was forced to upgrade to Parallels 4.0 after the Snow Leopard release. A week or two later after purchasing Parallels 4.0, I got an email about upgrading to Parallels 5.0.

I definitely don't want that to happen again. Anyone know if/when Parallels is planning to do an upgrade?

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

4. n0de macrumors 6502

I don't know but if v5 is sufficient for your use then now is the time to buy!

5. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Good enough?

-Supports Aero, Vista, and Windows 7

-Acronis true image support

-2x faster graphics support, faster file access, faster network connections, faster Windows startups, faster access to files on a network, and its faster than VMWare Fusion.

-Easy Windows Backups

-Better, Faster, Stronger gaming performance

-Windows and Mac security software included

-Easy migration to virtual machines

-Parallels Transporter is now a built-in, integrated feature in Parallels 6 versus a separate, stand alone application in Parallels 5.

-Support for 5.1 surround sound on Windows

-Spotlight, Spaces, and Expose support

-90 day money back guarantee (may depend on retail location?)

-Parallels 6 will cost $79.99, which was the old price of Parallels 5.

Here’s the big one:

-Parallels iPad app. As you may know, Parallels currently offers an iPhone/iPod touch app to access files and such remotely, but according to the back of the box, it works with the yet to be released iPad app as well. It also appears (we may get this one wrong) that the iPhone/iPod touch app will be enhanced for greater file access. We’ll have to see and we’re still wondering when this thing’s getting announced for real.

Requirements: 1GB of Ram (2 GB recommended), 450 MB hard drive minimum, 10.5 Leopard or 10.6 Snow Leopard, an internet connection, and of course a Windows OS disc.

http://www.9to5mac.com/24478/parallels-6-details

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

I hope so! Nice find on the details.

7. switcher3365 thread starter macrumors regular

8. appleuser1984 macrumors newbie

you do know parallels and fusion are the same price right?

9. switcher3365 thread starter macrumors regular

If you are on Parallels' email list, they should email you a $39.99 upgrade offer. They've always done that with me.

10. Chromatical macrumors newbie

Parallels Desktop Caution

I'm a brand new fist time poster so please forgive my newbie mistakes.

I am also a fairly new Mac user - 3 years, but a long time PC user - 20 years or more. I am not a geek by any means so my knowledge of how it all works is limited. I began using a Mac because I'm a graphic designer and found that even though I began using a used 2003 G5, with 2.0 dual processor and 2 MB of ram, it had outperformed my newer PC by miles.
    After a few months of usage I was now sold on Macs.

Three years later and three months ago I bought a brand new iMac 27" i7, quad. Now I'm really sold on Macs! Who wouldn't be with a machine like this.

I'm using an in home network that is quite large,- the same network that I have always used, through a wire- ethernet port. I still have my old PC running along side the Mac and as always, and the iMac is still the only Mac on the network, just as it was for the past 3 years before the new iMac came along.

Recently - two weeks ago it was suggested to me that if I use Parallels Desktop I may be be able to consolidate and get of the PC. I wasn't sold on the idea, I know the iMac can run windows in a rebootable form but was told that Parallel Desktop would make it easier to run a few Windows programs without having to reboot into the Windows platform. I also read that it created a remote desktop. I didn't like this idea and decided against it.

It was installed against my better judgement. (I was away from my computer for 3 days). Afterwards I ran into a multitude of very large problems, the worst of which was that a Super User Account had been created, and was my biggest concern initially, but along with that MacFuse was installed and I found some unusual attempts at acccessing my Mac after the removal of this software through the network. The network is protected with a firewall as you all probably know the iMac is also. The apple folks helped me with the settings to protect it from further intrusion, but I cannot help but feel that many of these setting are overkill considering my Mac is in my home office.
    I will do all that I can until I'm sure I have found the last of the software - malware involved in getting me here.

Apple support was very helpful and helped me to eliminate the Super User Account and other software I didn't want. Funny how Parallels Desktop has an install button but the uninstall button was grayed out.
    It's taken 5 days of my searching to find bits and pieces of this and other spyware on what I thought was a very secure machine.
    The folks at Apple told me that Parallels Desktop created a remote desktop that may have made my iMac accessable for this to happen.

When I read posts on this forum and others I have never run into anyone with a similiar problem. I hear praises of Parallels Desktop.

I'm curious if Apple is just plain happy to get rid of me (dont blame them) or if that this software could have actually created the gateway to all my other problems.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I would sure appreciate hearing anything, or any opinion you have on this subject,
    Thanks

11. Shivetya macrumors 65816

so someone else put Parallels and "other software" on your machine and this reflects negatively on Parallels how?

When I first used Parallels 5 I had problems, some probably from not reading closely enough the install and some from botching my Bootcamp install which I had done earlier. However after a few forum posts elsewhere I got it all running smooth as can be. I even upgraded to version 6 the other day.

Nothing beats not having to have another machine around just to run Windows. I have two VMs, one for small tasks and one for big tasks (as in games). I can pop either one and run what I need without ever leaving OS X. I can shut them down independent of whatever they are running without issue, as in - if something is screwy I can shut them down or stop them regardless of what is running on the Windows VM - it has no say)

Frankly, it sounds like you need to address physical security of your own machines. First, no one installs software on your Mac without the password.

12. Chromatical macrumors newbie

I'm glad to know that Parallels desktop does work well. That alone answers a lot of questions.
    I thought Parallels may have created a gateway for anyone to access my machine after the install. As I said, I work at home and didn't think I needed to keep my password a huge secret. Being married 35 years I never expected nor saw this kind of malicious behavior. Well, I've learned the hard way. Now no one but me can access my machine now.
    Thanks for your input and information on Parallels. I will reconsider installing it myself.