any parental monitoring app recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FurElise, Oct 22, 2014.

1. FurElise macrumors newbie

Have looked at Net Nanny but wondering what others may recommend as far as parental monitoring options. We are not super gurus but need to monitor the network traffic of our teens.

We have looked at specific tools to install on the cell phones, but wondered if there was a tool that could watch traffic at the router level. Obviously, that would miss items coming in cellular, but it would be a plus to get the traffic coming in over the internet the distributed throughout the house via wifi.

Thanks in advance.

2. Alex88 macrumors newbie

Parental Monitoring

There are of course many ways to keep an eye on your kids online activity nowadays, though some are probably more effective than others. I have heard good things about Net Nanny, and obviously not from youngsters :D so it should do the job. However, if you are looking for something a little more 'serious', then perhaps a special parental control router will do. But I'm not sure if those offer traffic reports, etc..? Or why not check out the free software downloads that are available such as K9 Web Protection to see if any of them have the features you want before spending any money ;)

3. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I can't understand why these apps, are so old.
    Many of them have to be updated from 2008 or 2009.

I tried k9, but for some strange reason it seems to freeze the computer.
    I tried many different settings, with no luck.

Are there any other suggestions to filter the web for a safer kid's surfing?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Try using the controls in OpenDNS.