any partial refund (because of new options) for top-of-the-line MBP purchased in oct?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vm7118, Nov 6, 2007.

1. vm7118 macrumors regular

i got a 2.4 with 2gb RAM and the 160gb 7200 rpm, as well as the 256 mb video card. this was purchased online on september 29th, didn't ship until october first and i didn't have it until well into october (somewhere around the 15th?). is there any chance of a few hundred dollar refund from apple since for the same amount of money i spent, i could get 2.6 and a 200gb hdd? or is it a waste of time to even ask them, since i made the purchase online more than a month before the options were available? thanks.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

the 2.6 option is $250 more how can it be the same price?

but no they are not going to give you anything

3. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

oh i guess i was mistaken. i was looking at price charts on intel processors, and it listed the mobile 2.4 at $512 (or something like that) until the mobile 2.6 was available, which then listed at that price, and the 2.4 dropped down.

i assumed that meant the price of a maxed out mbp would remain the same when only the cpu was updated to reflect what was available. we all know what assuming does to you, though :p

thanks!

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Haha, for those who don't know what "assuming" does, it makes an "ass out of u and me". As for the top of the line MBP, get in line with the rest of us who are no longer owners of the fastest MBP(2.4). It was bound to happen sooner or later.

5. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

lol exactly. and here's to progress. i just wish that my substantial investment (even after the student adc discount...) had given me bragging rights for at least a few weeks longer. and that i would maybe get from apple $150 bucks or so that could go toward RAM... but it's no big deal.

6. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

At least your laptops are recent, I have a vintage 1.83 Ghz MBP that came stock with 512 ram.

7. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

until i got the macbook, i was using a combination of a circa 1997 ibm thinkpad and a massive homemade desktop built (and powered) like a nuclear aircraft carrier.

the thinkpad was a t20, which i believe had a 700 mhz p3 and 128 megs of ram. yes... it ran windows xp admirably for such an old machine. surprisingly it never gave me a problem besides the battery eventually reverting to 15 minutes of charge.

the desktop had a sweet ic7-max3 or some such name abit motherboard with a 3.0 ghz/800 mhz fsb p4 prescott (yes, the peak of the heat/power wasting cpu chart), 1gb of corsair RAM (with the cool led's running up them), and a radeon 9800 pro

thing was top of the line 5 years ago... threw it all into a huge lian-li pc 71 since i was planning on adding some watercooling.

needless to say my room is much cooler, quieter, and just overall more enjoyable now. you're not the only one who has experience wallowing in almost obsolete computer history.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I bought 2 MBPs 2.16s about 18 months ago and the prices dropped before the second one shipped, and Apple reduced the price they charged, which I thought was pretty good. Don't think they'll do anything for one that had actually shipped though...

9. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

I bought mine 2 days before the update. Same specs as you. And no they will not give me an update or a refund or anything. Its a waste of time. Money hungry M$ - I mean, Apple...

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I was in a similar situation (no refund though) when I got my 12" Powerbook 867 all those years ago. No more than a few weeks later they dropped the price by a good AUD$700-750. Just my luck.

That baby was AUD$4k on education, now 2 white MB 2.2 cost AUD$3800. Apple gear back then cost a small fortune.

11. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

The 2.6ghz cost extra and so does the 200 gig. So why would apple owe anything?

12. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

i wasn't saying they owed me anything. obviously not, since i made the purchase and i knew what i was purchasing. i was just asking if there's a chance they would reimburse me a little bit, considering i could have gotten more for my money a month later.

they did it with leopard... why not with the hardware?

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The prices didn't change, Apple add MORE options that you can spend MORE money on.

And if you do a BTO/CTO machine -- it is yours, you cannot return it -- and the only time Apple refunds any money is when their retail price drops (not their parts vendors).

Basically the 2.4GHz machine is still their top configuration, but if you wanted to spend $250 more for a CPU upgrade, you could.

As far as the 7200RPM drive ... basically Apple is charging $50 more for a larger drive, and the cost per GB is slightly higher for this new machine than what you paid. You probably OWE Apple $10. ;)

14. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Please go to apple's website and price your unit. you will see that it is NOT any cheaper. Apple doesn't owe you anything