Any PCI-E SATA cards that are natively supported by OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pastrychef, Oct 5, 2009.

1. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is an equivalent eSATA card, and it's bootable as well. Not exactly inexpensive though. It's a Highpoint PCIe x4 lane Fake RAID card, but it has EFI firmware, and works on both 32 & 64 bit versions (is good for '06 - '09 MP's).

Hope this helps. :)

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

EDIT - just read it works with 10.4 and up and doesn't have problems with 64-bit SL. At least as advertised.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

That's all we can go by at this time, as I don't recall any member posting they've used it.

I've not had great luck with Highpoint's Fake RAID controllers in the past, but it's been awhile. I would presume it would be fine for single disk use. Not so sure on the software RAID functionality though.

We need a test subject. ;) :p

5. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

Wow. Huge difference in price...

Thanks for the info!

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

What do you mean?

You act like an 11.5x increase is something that needs to be considered. :eek: :D :p

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Comes with buying a MacPro, at least this year :D Or at least a MDP->DVI adapter. :p

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least the MDP->DVI adapter is cheaper. By a bit more than half actually. :D

Whoa... Now the MDP->DVI adapter looks like a bargain... What has the world come to in Mac Land? :eek: :p

9. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

I wonder if using one of those PCI-E to ExpressCard adaptors with the ExpressCard that I linked to in first post of this thread would work. I can populate all the open PCI-E slots with them and it would still be cheaper than the Highpoint card...

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've never tried it, but technically speaking, it should be possible. I'd recommend checking the specs carefully first though. :)