Any PDF readers that cache files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sneak3, May 17, 2019.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I have around 700 big pdfs files I have to go through. They are in my SSD but every time I start to read them I have to wait several minutes for half of them to load.

I would like to find a PDF reader software that would cache them all for instant access.

Does anyone know anything that could accomplish that?

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Memory swap will always be there in any OS to help optimise usage. In a sentence it’s not possible what you’re asking for.

3. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need a software that could save the PDF information, at least the thumbnail preview, so I at least know which file im looking at. I dont need the full document cached. I'm sure there's a way to do that so I dont have to keep loading every single thing every single time.

4. NoBoMac, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Define size of "big PDF"?
    When you say SSD, are you talking about internal drive or external?
    And if external, proper SSD or talking about thumb drive?
    And what Mac do you have?

Reason I ask, was able to find a 100MB PDF on line and using Quick Look, popped up quickly. Opening in Preview took longer, but nothing drastic on a month-old Mac. If old Mac, can see issue. And if drive where PDFs are is USB 2, or Mac's ports are USB 2, chokepoint.

Re: thumb drives, seen some that are really slow, so limiting factor is more there than any program. And again, might be USB 2.

Also, depending on how the PDF was created, can see taking a while to open. Ie: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2219009

Back to original post, don't know of anything that creates a thumbnail cache other than Quick Look.

ADD: have not used in years, but, used to like Foxit Reader on Windows. Small and fast and more secure (at the time) than Adobe Reader. Only downside back in the day was that it was ad driven, so, constant slew of ads showing up in a pane in the program's window.