Any photographers using Macbook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XP Defector, Oct 19, 2009.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I'm having a hard time between on the 15 and the 13, at one level I'm a travel photographer so move around a lot. On the other the matt screen and that extra couple of inches is tempting. Anyone using the 13" and have experiences to share?

2. youssefm macrumors 6502

i currently use the 13 and while it is sufficient the 15 inch matte would be a much better choice

3. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Can I also ask how you transport it? I'm trying to decide between an Incase Nylon Backpack (not sure if its big enough for mattbook + D90 + lenses). Or just to buy a sleeve and throw it in my regular backpack. Those incase hard-shells are way too heavy it would seem.

4. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I use my wife's 13" from time to time. But not for the photography business. It makes a great little portable laptop. Don't use the screen for editing critical work or printing and you will be all set.

5. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup I'm a travel photographer so not choice but to use screen. I guess the mattbook it is? :)

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

For a photographer, the Matte 15" will be the best option if you don't want to lug around a 17" monitor. The glossy screen would probably be an issue, as you wouldn't see the screen & true colours if you had any light in background.

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have owned the 15" Unibody since it's release. I find the glossy display to be highly annoying and will get an anti glare as soon as I can justify it. The 13" is a nice machine, my Stylist bought one when it was introduced but I do not have any desire to go smaller.

I carry mine in the Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag after using the Tenba sleeve and various backpacks. I like the thought of carrying the computer in a nondescript bag. My next bag will be a large Timbuk2 classic messenger bag with sleeves for laptop, DSLR and a couple of lenses. Sometimes the Tenba backpack is just too much to carry.

8. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

The 15 inch badboy matte would be best if you are seriously doing professional work.

9. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I don't know what a 15" badboy is. But I do know that your best option is a matte 15" MacBook Pro, as it will bring you the best colors for editing photos, and a good amount of real estate.

In terms of portability the 15" really isn't that much bigger, and only weighs about a pound more. Really I think that your best option is to get the 15".

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

For all of you posting that the glossy screen is somehow better or worse then the matte in terms of color, your just plain wrong. A properly calibrated screen whether glossy or matte looks the same.

The only issue is the nasty reflections you get with a glossy screen.

11. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

13" MBP = 4.5lbs
    15" MBP Anti-glare = 5lbs.

If you were interested in the weight difference, which is very little...

12. RazHyena macrumors 6502a

RazHyena

13. Doju macrumors 68000

Could someone prove this?

14. prodigee macrumors 6502a

There was already a thread on it already, search for it and many confirm it, even Apple confirms it, somewhere on their site.

15. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

IIRC, Apple does not have the weight of the anti-glare in the specs section online. I have both, so I weighed them myself.

16. analytical44 macrumors regular

I find it hard to believe this is true. Per Apple's site, it's 5.5 lbs. If the matte option really did shave off 1/2 a pound, I'm fairly confident Apple would be advertising 15" MBPs as being 5 lbs. But I certainly could be wrong, I don't have either. I'd actually be slightly impressed by Apple if this turns out to be true; figured they'd jump on the opportunity to advertise a lighter product with the fine print stating it's only for the matte which is, of course, 50 beans more.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

To the OP, if you do the majority of your work on the fly, the 15" would be the way to go. I love my lil guy but screen real estate is certainly limited. That being said, 15" isn't a dream to work with either; external displays are the way to go with any notebook under 17". The difference between 13" and 15" is significant enough to matter though, so as I said, I would recommend the latter.

17. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

I didn't believe it at first too, but after holding the 15" anti-glare I knew right away it was lighter than the glossy since they did remove the front panel. But I didn't think it would be 0.5lbs lighter. I weighed both laptops (glossy, AG) and they came to 5.5 and 5.0.

18. johata3 macrumors regular

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But whomever is comparing the weight of a 15" anti-glare and a 13" glassy gloss is comparing apples to oranges. A 15" is going to weigh more regardless, even without that supposed .5lb glass.