Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Don't know if this belongs here or in the Marketplace - mods, feel free to move if necessary.

I have a web site I've designed and have been updating for a few years for a buddy of mine (Good New Music). It's composed entirely of static HTML pages. There are essentially only two page layouts: the front page and a review page.

I've been trying for a year now to get this converted into a PHP-driven site with the following goals:

1. Make it easier for my friend to update himself via a web-based back-end page, with set fields for him to type in the relevant data - which would then populate a database and build pages.
2. Have each field assigned a certain CSS style for the text display.
3. And (if possible) allow visitors to search the database and pull up each review of a certain artist or genre, etc.

A friend of mine helped start the PHP process, then flaked. I do this site for my buddy for free, so there's no budget - but I'm open to bartering my services in exchange to finish this task. (See my portfolio at 3rd Eye Design.

If I'm out of line, tell me... I haven't worked with many programmers so I don't really know the extent of what's involved and I want to be fair about this.

Thanks!

JJ07

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
Have you tried any of the open source Content Management Systems? Like Joomla.

I create custom CMS's, but they come at a price. Im working on one for a client at the moment, the company i work for also has its own system that i helped build.

If your not going to spend the money use an Open Source CMS. I wouldn't bother doing it yourself unless you know exactly what you are doing because you could end up creating security problems you don't even know about.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I wouldn't claim to be a be a PHP guru, but I would like to be a PHP programer when I leave college. I've made a few websites (StandbyGames.com is probably the most ambitious), but before I leave college and try to find real work, I'd like to have a bit of a portfolio to show what I can do.

What you described didn't sound too complicated, I'd be happy to continue where your friend left of?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.