Any plans for Touch to support Flash?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by atomheartmother, May 25, 2008.

1. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Are there any plans in the future for the Touch to support Flash? It seems that pretty much every video on the internet (e.g., television episodes on TV websites) are flash-based, and I can't watch them. Does Apple have any plans to support Flash in the future?

Honestly, I could see them not wanting to do so. It seems that being able to watch television shows and other videos online would conflict with sales on the iTunes store.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the last word is from March, that basically it is still stuck without a lot of traction.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/iphone-adobe-flash-support-coming-275317.php

Essentially, it looks like Adobe won't be able to just release it as an SDK app. Apple and Adobe don't agree about how it should function on the iPhone or iPod (Apple wants it to perform extremely well with low overhead).

On the other hand, Flash's presence on the web isn't exactly going away anytime soon.

I've found that the iPhone personally is quite usable to me without flash, and I miss it much less than I thought I would. But I presumably don't visit your sites.

3. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the only thing I really feel is missing is the ability to watch television shows off of TV channel websites (e.g., Grey's Anatomy on ABC's website, etc.). I could do it on my computer, but the thing is just too darn old to play them smoothly. I guess I'll just have to hold out until I can get a Macbook down the road.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would think you'd need more than just Flash on the iPhone or iPod for that to happen. I mean come on. I don't think videos that skip on a G5 are going to dance on your iPod, and I'm not sure the site was designed to provide you a lower res version on your iPod screen.

Really, I don't see that as realistic unless ABC, etc, design custom apps for the iPhone / iPod OS. Now that could happen, from what I understand, perhaps even without Flash.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Flash is already pretty bad on Mac OS. Seeing as the iPhone runs off of the same software core, I can't imagine that it would be any good seeing as it's hardware won't even come close to meeting that of a current mac, which still can't run flash too well.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's long overdue that Adobe delivers Flash with competent speed on OS X and Linux. I don't see why it should be that ridiculously hard. In general, Adobe is good about supporting OS X, but this is one of those areas where they developed a monopoly and have stubbornly disenfranchised people who don't use Windows....

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Flash works very well on my Symbian S60 device =D

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I think flash was intentionally left out because apple wants to force you to use youtube video. I think youtube must have paid apple for that.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I seriously doubt it. I don't think YouTube needs to pay Apple get users to use the application. They have the same app for Symbian and Symbian has Flash.

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

the iPhone is different and has different rules as set by jobs