Any point getting the Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daneoni, Nov 23, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've been looking to extend the range of my AEBS. It works fine but my iMac is locked away in a corner in another room and whilst it picks up the signal...i rarely get full bars but instead alternate between 2/3 bars and overall the connection just doesn't seem strong enough

I've tried switching channels but it doesn't work suggesting its not an interference issue but rather too many concrete walls and obstacles in my house. When i try to go all n(5GHz) it's even worse and i can only access the connection if i am in the same room and even then the connection is spotty. n(2.4GHz) works much better than 5GHz which is weird...maybe i have a faulty base station

Hence i'm contemplating buying an AE and plugging it in the hallway to further extend or boost the signal. Is this money well spent or are there other ways. I also hear the AEs fail after two years and that there may be an 802.11n version coming soon. But for £58 i'm feeling i should just get the current model and be done with it once and for all.

Any suggestions?

2. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

I think a better idea would be to go and try out a different router to see if the Airport Extreme is the problem. The prices of draft N routers has fallen so you should be able to find something just as good (if not better) for much less.

Or you could try a 108Mbps wireless g router (as oppesed to the 54Mbps type, which the AE is). They have much better range and speed.