Any point in putting 4.0 on 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by deimos256, Jun 16, 2010.

1. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

With the release of itunes 9.2 I have found the GM ipsw, question is, is it worth it to upgrade? I know multitasking isnt included and i read that custom backgrounds arent supported either (makes no sense), my biggest concern is will my apps not work correctly? I remember when 3.0 came out i updated a little early and some of my apps were hosed until the 3.0 updates came out.

2. LazersGoPEWPEW macrumors regular

I put iOS4 on my 3G. Most of my apps seem to be working. I mainly like the folders I can use. That's clutch for me. It's nice to take 5 pages of apps and put it on 2.

3. oren1 macrumors member

You can hack the 3G to allow multitasking. Check the thread about jailbreak 3G with ios4, there is a tutorial how to enable multitasking.
    Works fine for me.

Anyway, they are many other improvements in ios4. Its not all about multitasking.

4. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

yea theres over 100 new features with 4.0 firmware....3G isnt getting the main Multi Tasking feature

and some apps will start to require you to run 4.0

5. mansanas macrumors regular

my jailbroken 3gs can do everything the iphone4 can do, except for facetime, which i will never use since i dont have a wife or a gf right now.

backgrounder >>>>>> iOS 4 "multitasking"

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You could have one down the road.
    Even a baby :D

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

iPhone4 has a longer battery life too, lol...oh yea and

# 5 megapixels
    # LED flash
    # Backside illumination sensor

* HD video recording
    * Tap to focus while recording
    * LED light

# Three-axis gyro
    # Apple A4 processor
    # Dual-mic noise suppression

8. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I'd prefer to use the built in multi-tasking rather than having to use third party software. That's just my opinion. Plus, there are many other improvements also.

9. mansanas macrumors regular

haha i sure hope so, but by then iOS 5 and iphone 5 will be out and my contract is up.

sorry i meant iOS4 not iphone 4, i do want an iphone 4 but ill wait for the jb on the iOS4, then ill unlock and sell my 3gs

so do i, but the multi tasking in iOS 4 is not real multitasking. i think besides, pandora and skype (or similar stuff) everything else just pauses, its not really running in the background.

unlike backgrounder, where i can have atomic browser load a page, or even download something from that website, while im playing a game. i can have the runners on fieldrunners continue running the maze i created while im surfing the internet, etc. REAL multi tasking. but ofcourse it drains the battery, but i dont have to use it and its up to me to decide.

10. yegon macrumors 68020

Wow, iOS4 is sloooooow on the 3G, crikey. Press button...wait...press other button...wait - MUCH slower than 3.1.3 which itself was kinda sluggish. If I wasn't already getting a IV on Thursday (hopefully) Id be seriously seriously peeved, to the point that Id feel effectively forced to upgrade my phone.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We were expecting that.
    I can't imagine enabling multitasking on it thru a hack. It
    would be a bigger drag.

12. r3voLoL macrumors member

I'm jailbroken with redsn0w and have multitasking fixed on my 3G but there arent any multitasking apps that are working yet... so I have yet to really test it.

13. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I've read various results. Some were saying they had better performance, while others had crap performance. I read that performance increased when they did a clean install rather than upgrading.

14. yegon macrumors 68020

As was I. However, it is a lot slower than I expected, even after a clean install.

Plus, as others have said, Apple really need to disable the always on wifi - over 8 hours of non-use my battery dropped 21%, wifi on, everything else off, no fetch. I always leave it in this state overnight and, with os3, the battery remained at 100%. Admittedly, its an old battery, but thats irrelevant and the point still stands.

15. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Odd to see reports of it being sluggish. I tossed iOS4 on my 3G, jailbroke it and enabled everything. Performance feels a bit better for me, looks sharper and man those folders are a godsend. It's not enough to make me keep the 3G longer, but it's enough of a breath of fresh air to keep me sane while waiting for the new iPhone up here.

16. yegon macrumors 68020

I should say, in-app performance doesn't feel any different. Accessing settings and iPod, however, seems to have noticably more pauses.

17. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I wish I had the patience to re jailbreak. Well, t-minus 6 days :D!!!

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed. I will never use either one of those either. I am 100% confident that I will never use them. Still worth buying a iPhone 4 regardless.

I'm running 4.0 on my 3GS. Pretty nice so far. I'm getting used to the folders right now. Freed up about two pages.

19. yegon macrumors 68020

I've just reset location warnings, network setting, keyboard dictionary and Safari and it's improved it quite a bit. Weird since it was a clean install anyway.

20. JudasBlitzkrieg macrumors member

its odd that. When i put 4.0 on my 16gb 3G, it flew. Its running better than ever. 3.1.3 was painfully slow on mine, taking 7 seconds to open up messages at some points, but with 4.0 is smoother and slicker. The only point I notice any slow down is when sending an SMS, the animation for the text going into the thread locks up. It takes no longer than it does when the animation works, but the animation stops, then the message is in the list. Thats the only thing i've found that doesnt run properly.

Flicking between pages is smoother, dropping out of apps back to the springboard is smoother and the folders are a joy to use.

21. yegon macrumors 68020

After further use, Im pleased to say it seems fine now - mail access is noticeably quicker. The whole experience isn't blistering, Ive realised that since getting an iPad, but it doesn't feel any worse than 3.1.3. Those resets seem to solve it bizarrely.

22. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Do you have a link for it?

23. icemantx macrumors regular

So far the only downside I have seen is launching the camera seems slower than on iOS 3. Mine can take anywhere 4-15 seconds (11k photos loaded onto the phone). Folders make iOS4 worth it to me on the 3G.

24. oren1 macrumors member

Install 4.0gm on 3G (only if you don't care about unlocking), and run redsn0w to jailbreak it. It will let you choose if you want to enable native multitasking and/or wallpaper.

http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rsbeta