Any point in trying to buy at store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ninethirty, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Hey Everyone,

I stopped in at the Michigan Ave Apple Store in Chicago last week and asked about buying in store. I was told that each day they receive some iPhones, but they never know how many, or if they'll even show up. He said you can show up and line up around 8, but that they'll come out and tell you immediately if they have none.

Is this in addition to the reservation system? On top of? Waste of time?

Thanks in advance!

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Have you tried an AT&T store? My local AT&T had a bunch of 64s in stock.

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

This stock is in addition to the reservation system. I think all of the flagship stores are doing this. They form a line in the AM and hand out tickets for the amount of stock they got in and allowing 2 iPhone purchases per ticket. They are doing the same thing at the Apple Fifth Avenue store in New York City.

4. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hadn't no. I'm on AT&T now, but trying to switch over to Verizon. That would be my preference anyway.

If I absolutely can't find a Verizon phone, I'll buy an AT&T.

Thanks!

----------

Good to know! I might head down there this morning then and see if I can get lucky. Thanks very much for the info!

5. Coleman2010, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Also try Target, Walmart, and RadioShack. I bought my 64 GB iPhone 5 from Target. Just spend a lot of time on the phone calling locations asking if they have stock or when they expect to get some in.

I called Targets on a Friday and paid for my phone when their warehouse got stock on Saturday. They did an in store direct ship to home type of order in the retail store. So my phone was FedExed from their warehouse to my house.

6. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

10 PM reservation works great for me, got mine next day.

7. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I went down there, waited for an hour, and got in only to find out they didn't have any Verizon phones. I bought a White 32 AT&T, but I'm probably just going to return it. Guess I felt like I needed something to show for the wait.

Unless anyone feels like a trade, hah!

8. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Did you try Target and RadioShack? RadioShack seems to have a lot of stock at least where I live they do.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I reserved mine for next day pickup, but they had a line at the front of the store for walk in purchases. There was a girl at the front that had cards with all the iPhones they had available. It's possible...just easier to reserve since its guaranteed.

10. Justjay27 macrumors 6502

Justjay27

I Walked right in to a best buy mobile
    no reservation and picked the last one up they had in stock

11. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everyone in Chicago seems to be sold out. And Nobody seems to have any Verizon. It's crazy!

12. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Have you tried a Verizon store? I can't imagine they'd be that difficult to come by in a major metro like Chicago.

I'm almost 100% certain I saw a couple buying black and white iPhone 5's yesterday at a Verizon reseller mall kiosk here in Atlanta yesterday. I figure if the mall kiosks have them, the actual Verizon corporate stores will almost certainly have them too.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Have you tried using http://www.milo.com ?

14. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

This pretty much says to try Best Buy, Radio Shack or Apple. Best Buy and Radio shack have none, but are filling pre-orders first and say it'll be a while, and Apple has no Verizon phones in the mornings, and every night when I've tried the reservation, it shows none as being available (they even said this morning they haven't seen any for quite some time).

To make matters more complicated, I'm looking to buy the phone for full price - which you can't do with the reservation system.

So frustrating. I actually have two iPhone 5's already. The White 32 I bought this morning, and an unlocked 16 Black from Canada, but I don't want either. I just want a Verizon phone :)

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Had anyone had any luck with the reservation system in NJ?